• Mac-Forums.com will not in any way, shape, or form be held liable for anything that happens in this forum. It is up to you to make a sound decision on whether to buy or sell to someone here. This forum is only provided as a convenience for our memebers.

Use of this forum is at your own risk.

For further information on protecting yourself in online transactions, please visit the usa.gov-online-safety website.

A few things to keep in mind:

• This forum is use at your own risk
    • The moderators and staff of this forum will have nothing to do with private transactions. Use common sense!
    • Flaming and personal attacks are prohibited and you could be banned without warning for participating in such things.
    • This forum will only be visible by members
    • The most basic rule is USE YOUR COMMON SENSE!!
    • Our forum rules prohibit the discussion of Hackintoshes, this includes the sale of such machines. Any thread advertising a Hackintosh for sale will be deleted and punitive actions may be taken.

Note: Only users with enough posts, an adequate period of time as a member here, and in good reputation standing are able to post in this forum.

What is happening to mac2sell ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4, 1.67GHz; iBook G4, 933MHz
ANyone know what is happening with mac2sell.com/net? I usually use them to establish some comparison of values whether buying or trading, etc. I saw a mac mini on a craigslist site locally and wanted to get an idea how it compared to the imac I'm selling or trading. I got a "This site may harm your computer,.... contains malware, etc." No, this wasn't the scammers who try to get you to buy their software with a phony message. I believe it is a warning sent via google. In any case, anyone know what's happening; have you tried it in the last couple of days?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
They are including content from another site that Google believes hosted malware..and by association, mac2sell is getting the warning as well..

Regards

Reaction score
I'm getting a warning, too - Using FF 3.6

See attachment for screenie

Screen shot 2010-02-25 at 15.10.11.png

OP
rjroberts
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4, 1.67GHz; iBook G4, 933MHz
I'm getting a warning, too - Using FF 3.6

See attachment for screenie

I think razoredge has the answer. Even though I have the Intego virus package I won't take any chances. I wanted to contact a guy about a trade against his mac mini. I'll wait.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
My question is why would anyone use Mac2Sell? The prices are very inaccurate.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
My question is why would anyone use Mac2Sell? The prices are very inaccurate.

Why do you say this?

If you check out the site...they explain how they compile data to generate the current values.

But on the other hand...I do somewhat agree. I'm fairly active checking out how much computer systems sell for on e-Bay...and the asking prices for items on Craig's List...and many times the values given on Mac2Sell are very low.

I will say that I find the Mac2sell valuations to be more accurate the newer the computer model (for example a 3 year old or less computer). The older the computer model the more deviation I see (for example a 5-10 year old computer)...which may be due to less data available to generate accurate valuations.

I'm usually on the buying end of a transaction....so I'm fine with low valuations!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
An item is only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
An item is only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it.

Yes on any individual transaction...but Mac2sell is supposed to take all of those individual transactions (plus the individual values of upgrades such as better optical drives, larger hard drives, more ram, etc) and factor all of that into the current valuations for a particular used computer setup.

Mac2sell says that a 17" iMac G5 1.8ghz with 2 gig of ram is worth around $300. I happened to purchase one recently for a REALLY great price of $100 bucks...but then I've also seen them advertised on Craig's List for $500.

I think that many folks think (usually sellers) that Mac2sell's prices are way too low. But I can list at least 4-5 computer deals I've had from Craig's list where I've purchased computers for well less than what Mac2Sell say's they're worth...and I've contacted sellers who have sold computers for more than Mac2Sell's quotes.

At the end of the day...like you said...it's basically between the buyer & the seller how much an individual computer is worth.

Mac2Sell is simply a guide to help give an approximate "ballpark" of what a used Mac computer is worth....it's much better than nothing for folks who don't buy/sell computers on a regular basis.!:)

- Nick

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I'm usually on the buying end of a transaction....so I'm fine with low valuations!:)

- Nick

Just curious, with 29 Macs and counting, is this like collecting stamps or do you eventually resell them?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just curious, with 29 Macs and counting, is this like collecting stamps or do you eventually resell them?

Like collecting stamps!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"
For anyone who cares to know why google is giving off the warnings, click here.

I am posting most of what is on that site below,

What happened when Google visited this site?

Of the 614 pages we tested on the site over the past 90 days, 76 page(s) resulted in malicious software being downloaded and installed without user consent.

The last time Google visited this site was on 2010-02-25, and the last time suspicious content was found on this site was on 2010-02-25.

Malicious software includes 5 trojan(s), 4 exploit(s). Successful infection resulted in an average of 3 new process(es) on the target machine.

Malicious software is hosted on 4 domain(s), including asspuc.com/, 95.143.192.0/, 93.186.127.0/.

This site was hosted on 1 network(s) including AS16276 (OVH).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.