What is disk journaling

Reaction score
What is disk journaling and should I have it enabled or disabled. Once again I'm sorry if this is a stupid question. I just want to make sure I learn everything there is to know about my beloved MAC.
Also, what does the app Cocktail do? Is it something I should have? Thanks, Holly

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
The easiest way to explain journaling. It is a file system with a file log. If the system were to crash. The file system log (journal) is use to return the system back to the state it was before the crash. It is a good ideas to have journaling turned on.

Cocktail is also a good application to have. Just use it carefully until you know what all the figures do.

J

Jefe3223

SexyHolly said:
Also, what does the app Cocktail do? Is it something I should have? Thanks, Holly

Cocktail is an interesting application. I like to refer to it as a "gateway application" (kinda like the drug, but not really). It really just allows you to do a ton of things. It lets you change options and modify things. If you're into that kinda stuff and know what you're doing ('cause changing stuff is a risk some don't even think of while others fear), then get it. I like to download lots of little applications (from shareware, to freeware, to demos) that let me play around with my computer and do fun things. I keep them around, though I almost never use them. I'm a computer program pack-rat. Anyway, it's up to you. Their website goes into more detail on what each part of it can do.

S

Steel02001

But as he said make sure you are careful with cocktail.

there are also other programs like Onyx etc that do similar/same things.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
journaling is cool, if during a bad storm for example, your power goes out while your mac is on, journaling will make sure you lose no data.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yup, thats it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
a maintenance app, like onyx, but simpler and less easy to screw up your computer.
it basically runs cron scripts, repairs permissions, deletes caches and logs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I've used Cocktail for awhile now and I highly recommend it.

Sexyholly, yes, Pilot is what you want. Very simple way to do alot of maintenance tasks all at once.

C

crazycanadian

so is cocktail a beneficial program for the first time mac user? i've had my mac for about a week, is it worth while for me to install the program and will i notice any differences in performance? thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ye, use it. you don't actually install it, its a .app, meaning its all in the app, its basically a front end/gui for things you can do in the terminal, but you won't notice much difference unless your computer is acting weird, it'll often fix smaller problems.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.