What in the Mac peripherals you desire?

Reaction score
Mac is one of the well known brands with its destinct identity and appearence..

What is the most desired feature in the Mac Peripherals
1. Desired Functional Effeciency - e.g. Accurate Optical Mouse
2. Color of electronic accessories - e.g. Mouse color should be same as that of the Mac (like white)
3. Color of Non-Electronic accessories - e.g Laptop Tray should be white or any color would do

Any other desired feature of a Mac Peripherals Post here

Laptopman

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
are you asking what we like about macs best or which peripherals we actually want?

OP
L
Reaction score
Mac Peripherals..

I would like to know what do you like about the Mac peripherals.. their functionality, thier color compatibility with the main iBook for example.. or something else.. sorry if my questions were not clear..

Laptopman

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro quad 2.66 / G5 1.8
I would like to know what do you like about the Mac peripherals.. their functionality, thier color compatibility with the main iBook for example.. or something else.. sorry if my questions were not clear..

Laptopman

Assuming you're looking at product development, would it help to say what we don't like?

I don't like the fact the keyboard has 2 brain dead USB ports. It'd be great to be able to plug any USB device into those, but they're not powered, so if you try just about anything except a mouse it won't work. Can't be THAT hard to solve.

I also hate the way the DVD drives work. All control over ejecting is given to the operating system, and it is notoriously unreliable. Let me tell you, if I hit the eject button on the keyboard 5 times, it means I want to open the drive. No, I don't care if OSX thinks I shouldn't be doing that. Open the drive.

Restarting the machine to get the disk drive open is absurd. Put the button back on the drive. Thanks :D

On the plus side - what I like about Apple stuff is the engineering, design and quality. The Isight for example - it's virtually useless. but it's really nicely made. I have never used mine, ever - either my Mac wasn't able to run one, or there were no drivers, or nobody I know uses Ichat, or whatever, but it's so nicely made I don't resent having bought it at all. Don't make crappy knockoffs, people don't want those attached to their Macs.

OP
L
Reaction score
Assuming you're looking at product development, would it help to say what we don't like?

I don't like the fact the keyboard has 2 brain dead USB ports. It'd be great to be able to plug any USB device into those, but they're not powered, so if you try just about anything except a mouse it won't work. Can't be THAT hard to solve.

I also hate the way the DVD drives work. All control over ejecting is given to the operating system, and it is notoriously unreliable. Let me tell you, if I hit the eject button on the keyboard 5 times, it means I want to open the drive. No, I don't care if OSX thinks I shouldn't be doing that. Open the drive.

Restarting the machine to get the disk drive open is absurd. Put the button back on the drive. Thanks :D

On the plus side - what I like about Apple stuff is the engineering, design and quality. The Isight for example - it's virtually useless. but it's really nicely made. I have never used mine, ever - either my Mac wasn't able to run one, or there were no drivers, or nobody I know uses Ichat, or whatever, but it's so nicely made I don't resent having bought it at all. Don't make crappy knockoffs, people don't want those attached to their Macs.

Nice points I must say.. I am into product development..however on the Mac peripheral side.. So I would be into development of notebook desks for lap protection, note book desk etc.

Please give some inputs regarding these products as well.. these products help working when your mobile giving little trouble to your laps and take care of ergonomic comforts.

Laptopman

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nice points I must say.. I am into product development..however on the Mac peripheral side.. So I would be into development of notebook desks for lap protection, note book desk etc.

Please give some inputs regarding these products as well.. these products help working when your mobile giving little trouble to your laps and take care of ergonomic comforts.

Laptopman

Yeah, I did wonder whether your name meant I was on the wrong track.

Here's a wild idea for you though. I always use a dual monitor setup, at work and at home. I am very used to it and miss it a lot when I'm on the road.

I have vaguely looked at an old LCD screen I have, and wonderd if it could be adapted to be attached to the lid of my notebook (an HP laptop, but the theory is the same). The perfect solution would be that it is stored face down on top of the lid for transport, then removed attached to the side of the existing screen for use. A very short cable between it and the RGD port is all I'd need for the signal.

The lcd part of a screen is pretty small - you wouldn't need very much 'packing' around it. Power is obviously an issue, but clever chaps like you can work that out :D

I would rip your arm off for one of those.

smbp.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Short of fixing it, you can open it from iTunes.

Fixing what?

If OSX thinks the disk is in use, it won't open the drive regardless of what you try. It's also quite possible for OSX to think it has already ejected the disk, so there's nothing to eject.

If you've never had the problem, you're lucky. It is common though, and on any other machine the answer is to push the button on the drive.

In fact, the drives Macs use (at least all the ones I have had) all have the button - they're just standard IDE cd-rom / DVD-rom drives. But the button is considerd redundant and hidden under beautifully designed cases.

OP
L
Reaction score
Yeah, I did wonder whether your name meant I was on the wrong track.

Here's a wild idea for you though. I always use a dual monitor setup, at work and at home. I am very used to it and miss it a lot when I'm on the road.

I have vaguely looked at an old LCD screen I have, and wonderd if it could be adapted to be attached to the lid of my notebook (an HP laptop, but the theory is the same). The perfect solution would be that it is stored face down on top of the lid for transport, then removed attached to the side of the existing screen for use. A very short cable between it and the RGD port is all I'd need for the signal.

The lcd part of a screen is pretty small - you wouldn't need very much 'packing' around it. Power is obviously an issue, but clever chaps like you can work that out :D

I would rip your arm off for one of those.

wow.. quite an idea.. Let us see what we can do with it..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
wow.. quite an idea.. Let us see what we can do with it..

Dude, don't tease me . . . :D

I know it's a wacky idea, but if you do ever make any progress with it, let me know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I know it's a wacky idea, but if you do ever make any progress with it, let me know.

It would require some kind of hinge or means of attaching Apple would never go for because it would sacrifice the way the machine looks.

Just looks at the issue one is having with the optical drive. Apple could have made it easier on all of us with a button, but sacrificed it for the clean look. I know how he feels. For some reason, some of my audio CDs will not eject; not from iTunes, not with the button, not by throwing it in the trash. Nothing!! I have to reboot. It's a serious pain in the rear I've never had before. Incidentally, the same CDs work fine in other computers.

Personally, I wish Apple didn't put a nasty price premium on peripherals. That's why I don't have an airport extreme. Also, the white thing is just too much!! For a company that is supposed to inspire creativity, they sure work hard to make everyone look exactly the same! How hard can it be to offer even basic colors like black, red, blue, green. They're finally getting the picture with the Nano/Shuffles.

Another thing they could easily do that would be great is include A2DP bluetooth in their laptops and iPods. I would buy an iPod and bluetooth headset tomorrow if they offered them!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It would require some kind of hinge or means of attaching Apple would never go for because it would sacrifice the way the machine looks.

Just looks at the issue one is having with the optical drive. Apple could have made it easier on all of us with a button, but sacrificed it for the clean look. I know how he feels. For some reason, some of my audio CDs will not eject; not from iTunes, not with the button, not by throwing it in the trash. Nothing!! I have to reboot. It's a serious pain in the rear I've never had before. Incidentally, the same CDs work fine in other computers.

Personally, I wish Apple didn't put a nasty price premium on peripherals. That's why I don't have an airport extreme. Also, the white thing is just too much!! For a company that is supposed to inspire creativity, they sure work hard to make everyone look exactly the same! How hard can it be to offer even basic colors like black, red, blue, green. They're finally getting the picture with the Nano/Shuffles.

Another thing they could easily do that would be great is include A2DP bluetooth in their laptops and iPods. I would buy an iPod and bluetooth headset tomorrow if they offered them!

I'm not sure if laptopman is from Apple or a 3rd party manufacturer, but I agree, the way to 'stick' the screen to the laptop when in use is a difficult one. I'd guess it would actually be a pair of legs or something that put it at the same height as the laptop screen - not actually attached.

For transport, you'd just piggyback it on the laptop. It'd just be a 'thicker' macbook. the back of the 2nd screen would look identical to the lid of the mac.

Actually the main problem for me is power, but I've tried to use an old Samsung 15" lcd. It needs a 110v poser supply, but if you're using the same screen as the mac already has, you can presumably tap in to the internal power of the notebook. Taking an RGB or ADC signal is also not as easy as it sounds, but that's why I don't do this for a living.

Last problem is the killer though . . . I'd have one in a heartbeat, but are there enough other people to make it worthwhile? Probably not, it'd be expensive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.