What Happened to Apple Mail

Reaction score
I recently purchased a new MacBook Pro w/Yosemite and have discovered that Apple, in all its wisdom, has deleted the Address Icon from the Mail Toolbar. From what I have read, there is really no easy means to create the "drop down" list of email addresses that were available in Mountain Lion. Does anyone have any idea of when, or if, Apple plans to correct this problem?

M

MacInWin

It's changed, but it's there. Click in the TO: or CC: or BCC: line, a "+" will show up on the right. Click there and your Contacts list will open. You DO have to select them one at a time, not in groups, but if you have a group you email regularly, create a group in Contacts and it will show up in the list.

EDIT: Welcome to the forums, by the way. I do doubt Apple will "correct" this change. I'm not sure they see it as a problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.5; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.5; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
It's changed, but it's there. Click in the TO: or CC: or BCC: line, a "+" will show up on the right. Click there and your Contacts list will open. You DO have to select them one at a time, not in groups, but if you have a group you email regularly, create a group in Contacts and it will show up in the list.

EDIT: Welcome to the forums, by the way. I do doubt Apple will "correct" this change. I'm not sure they see it as a problem.

@ Hpowers - I'd have to agree w/ Jake about the above statement in bold. See that attached pic showing the 'plus' icon (blue arrow) which will open your contacts. Also, if you simply start typing into say the To: field a drop down list of email addresses beginning w/ the first first letters appears and a specific address can be chosen (I'm assuming you've already noticed this feature) - works fine for me and I'm on my third OS X (Yosemite now). Dave :)

Screen Shot 2015-03-07 at 12.12.57 PM.png

OP
H
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick replies. I am aware of the information you have provided; it just appears someone at Apple does not mind entering addresses one at a time. The Group thing works only if you want to send the same people an email all the time. Apple is trying to "re-invent the wheel".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 iMac mid 2011, 2.5 Intel Core i5 duo, 12GB Memory graphics card 512mb
Exactly right hpowers. It is a pain the the nether regions if you don't send to specific 'groups'. You have to do it one at a time because the 'contacts window closes but there is also the extra selection once you see the name you want you cannot get to the email address to select it until you have first clicked on the name then having done that the blasted 'contacts' box closes and you have to open it again. What a flaming palava ! ! Surely someone at Apple would have sufficient common sense to not fix it if it isn't broken. It seems, now, to be change just for the sake of it and not improving some things at all. Quite the reverse in fact ! Very annoyed with Apple, wre on earth do they get their information about Apple users from ?

C

chas_m

I'm confused by this thread. I just opened up Mail, typed in the name of a group I have in Contacts, and the name auto-filled the addresses of the four contacts that are part of that group.

So nothing at all has changed. This works on both the El Capitan version of Mail, and even on the web version (at iCloud.com).

M

MacInWin

I'm confused by this thread. I just opened up Mail, typed in the name of a group I have in Contacts, and the name auto-filled the addresses of the four contacts that are part of that group.

So nothing at all has changed. This works on both the El Capitan version of Mail, and even on the web version (at iCloud.com).
Read the OP. What has changed is not the handling of existing groups in Contacts, but the simplicity of effort to add multiple addressees from Contacts without the use of groups. Before, you could open the Contacts list from the Mail Toolbar, select multiple addressees all at once and when you returned to Mail, all those addresses were brought back and auto-filled. Now you can only bring back addresses from Contacts one at a time, which is much more cumbersome. You are correct that if there is a contact group already created, you can bring that back and it will populate properly, which I pointed out in post #2. But if you want to create an ad-hoc list of addressees, you have to fetch the one at a time, or go to Contacts and create a group there and then bring that group back. In either case, it's more cumbersome than it was before the change.

So, yes, there was a change. And it's not an improvement.

C

chas_m

Well, no. I mean, maybe I have some unique setup or something, but if you type the first letter or two of any given email address (and if you're creating an ad-hoc list of addresses for an email, these are people you know, surely?), it fills it out for you. So creating an ad-hoc list of recipients is, again, same as its ever been: type a letter or two, it offers a choice, repeat for each name, done.

I can't even recall the last time I actually had to open Contacts to find an email address, or for that matter ADD an email address -- this is all handled inside Mail.

M

MacInWin

chas_m, did you read the original post from the OP? He (or she) was very clear that the way it used to work was that you could open Contacts from the Mail Toolbar and select multiple addresses from the resulting dropdown. Yes, what you suggest can work, and it used to work and still now does work, but the function of opening Contacts into a dropdown for selection has been removed. The fact YOU didn't use it is immaterial. The original poster DID and now cannot. It's easier, IMHO (and maybe the OP's as well), to click on a name, scroll to the next and click and then scroll a bit more and click, etc., than to type two or three letters of EACH name, and then still maybe have to select which SMITH or JONES or whatever you want if you have a large Contacts list. In your example if you have 10 names, your method requires 20-30 letters to be typed and then names selected by hitting Return, for a total of 30-40 keypresses total, whereas the now-gone method requires only 11 clicks and one press on Return. So, whether you personally are impacted or not, the new Mail is changed and for the OP is NOT as easy to use as the old. Apple made a change and took something away that was useful to the OP.

C

chas_m

Jake: is it just possible that I was pointing out alternative ways to get the same thing done? Because that is in fact what I was doing. I can't verify that the feature is actually gone because I'm not booted into Yosemite, but IME this is often down to user error rather than an actual removed feature (thinking specifically about all the "missing" features in Photos that turned out to be just ... two, one of which I am apparently one of the only people who used it!).

One thing I *did* fail to mention (and which I would bet good money the OP has not done) is point out the feedback button in every Apple-made application, which is the only worthwhile place to complain about a "missing" feature. So thanks for the opportunity to suggest yet another option!

M

MacInWin

CLIP... So creating an ad-hoc list of recipients is, again, same as its ever been: type a letter or two, it offers a choice, repeat for each name, done.

I can't even recall the last time I actually had to open Contacts to find an email address, or for that matter ADD an email address -- this is all handled inside Mail.
I didn't read that as a suggestion for an alternative way, but a claim that it's "same as its [sic] ever been." Which it is not, clearly. But no need to continue beating that horse, so I'm done with this. Happy to have given you another opportunity to suggest something.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 iMac mid 2011, 2.5 Intel Core i5 duo, 12GB Memory graphics card 512mb
Hi Folks.
I know you said you are done with this topic but if you read the post from me and then this one it may be made a bit clearer. Macinwin knows exactly what I'm talking about but chas_m hasn't quite got it. I have never used 'groups' as I find that it depends on the email as to whome I would like to send it i.e. each list of recipients for each email may well vary; with the old OSX's originally I could open the contacts list and double click on each required name and it would fly into the selected Bcc bar.
A later upgrade took away the double click so I had to 'drag and drop' now, I have to click on the + sign, click on the name then click on the email address and the address flies into the Bcc BUT it closes the contacts list so I have to reclick on the + sing, click on the name etc and so on - Hope that explains the labourious procedure. :)

C

chas_m

I understood your previous post. Have you tried my suggested method? It works for anyone who is in Contacts with a valid email address, regardless of whether they are in a group or not.

Let's say you want to send a funny cartoon to five of your friends. If you're in Mail, hit New or command-n, type the first letter or two of the first name you want in the To: field. If it comes up, hit comma, then repeat. If the name you want is on the list that pops up but not the first name, hit space to "scroll down" to the next name, or keep typing more letters if you prefer.

I'm not suggesting that this either replaces the method you had or is better or worse, but it will do what you're looking for and you might find it suits you better after trying it a time or two.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.