What graphiccard will fit in my start 2008 24" IMac?

Reaction score
Hi

just as the thousands of other people who purchased a IMac in the start of 2008, with the NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GS card in it, mine has now also failed.
After studying the problem on the internet, I can understand, that if I replace it with a another 8800 GS card, I will soon end up with the same problem, as most of the 8800 GS cards were almost sure to fail.

Therefor I was thinking of finding an alternative, probably less powerful, but at lest reliant.

So there by my question, what cards can I fit in my machine. So far I am thinking of the Radeon card bearing the P/N: 661-4426.
But is there any others that will fit, as finding the above, at a reasonable price is not easy ;)

Info on the IMac:
Core 2 duo 3.06 GHz
24" screen
early 2008, MB398LL/A
Family ID: A1225
Introduced 2008-04-28

--
BR. Anders

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
We've been through several long threads on swapping the graphics card from a 2008 iMac. You might want to do a forum search and then read thru them. While it's certainly possible to swap that card out, it's going to be expensive.

Hopefully, moderator Nick will chime in here and give you his opinions. He's our resident expert when it comes to Macs and has years of experience in dealing with them. Hang on for a bit.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hopefully, moderator Nick will chime in here and give you his opinions. He's our resident expert when it comes to Macs and has years of experience in dealing with them. Hang on for a bit.

WOW…too bad this wasn't a Early 2009 24" iMac! Just a week ago I finished a project with my Early 2009 iMac that also had a video card problem (crashed quite often).

I replaced all of the video card thermal pads…and all of the thermal grease on every chip on the video card & logic board that required thermal grease. BAMM…I started it back up…and it is running great (fingers crossed)!:)

@OP. Depending on the exact symptoms you have with your iMac…you could try what I did (replace the thermal pads & thermal grease). Try this first to try to see if it helps. Maybe the problem is simply overheating (old thermal pads & thermal grease from 2008 may be all dried out & not performing properly).

As far as the video card replacement. I would only use video cards that were available for the Early 2008 iMacs. This way you are assured of the best fit & compatibility. Video cards in Early 2008 iMac's:

- Radeon HD 2400 XT
- Radeon HD 2600 PRO
- NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GS

For what it's worth. When I did my iMac video card project and was looking for a replacement (working card) on eBay (before I decided to try replacing the thermal pads & grease). I found that the cost of just of a replacement video card was very expensive. I'm talking $150-$300 for just a used (working) video card.

For your iMac…maybe the video cards are less expensive. But if we're talking a 7 year-old computer that's maybe worth $300-$350 (just an educated guess)…you certainly don't want to spend serious bucks for a replacement video card…if it's going to cost 50% or more of its current value.

In case you are thinking of doing this…here's the ifixit.com video card replacement procedure (it's for a 20" but it should be very similar for the 24" model):

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iMac+Intel+20-Inch+EMC+2133+and+2210+Video+Card+Replacement/1014

HTH,

- Nick

OP
@
Reaction score
Thanks, that was exactly the list I was looking for :) Did not know that the XT card would do as well:)

Without being too detailed, and maybe also a bit wrong. The reason the Nvidia cards fails one after another was, that due to environmental laws that year, they glue that binds the different layers of the GPU together had to be replaced. Although the replacement glue was, as you can see, not as good, and failed after some time.

I know it sounds a bit odd to work on a 7 year old computer. But first of all, I dont feel like buying a new IMac for XX $ ;) But most of all, I like the idea that we dont just toss something away that could be fixed, and work perfectly for my, not so demanding, needs:)

--
Anders

WOW…too bad this wasn't a Early 2009 24" iMac! Just a week ago I finished a project with my Early 2009 iMac that also had a video card problem (crashed quite often).

I replaced all of the video card thermal pads…and all of the thermal grease on every chip on the video card & logic board that required thermal grease. BAMM…I started it back up…and it is running great (fingers crossed)!:)

@OP. Depending on the exact symptoms you have with your iMac…you could try what I did (replace the thermal pads & thermal grease). Try this first to try to see if it helps. Maybe the problem is simply overheating (old thermal pads & thermal grease from 2008 may be all dried out & not performing properly).

As far as the video card replacement. I would only use video cards that were available for the Early 2008 iMacs. This way you are assured of the best fit & compatibility. Video cards in Early 2008 iMac's:

- Radeon HD 2400 XT
- Radeon HD 2600 PRO
- NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GS

For what it's worth. When I did my iMac video card project and was looking for a replacement (working card) on eBay (before I decided to try replacing the thermal pads & grease). I found that the cost of just of a replacement video card was very expensive. I'm talking $150-$300 for just a used (working) video card.

For your iMac…maybe the video cards are less expensive. But if we're talking a 7 year-old computer that's maybe worth $300-$350 (just an educated guess)…you certainly don't want to spend serious bucks for a replacement video card…if it's going to cost 50% or more of its current value.

In case you are thinking of doing this…here's the ifixit.com video card replacement procedure (it's for a 20" but it should be very similar for the 24" model):

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iMac+Intel+20-Inch+EMC+2133+and+2210+Video+Card+Replacement/1014

HTH,

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thanks, that was exactly the list I was looking for :) Did not know that the XT card would do as well:)

I do not know this 100%. All I'm saying is using a video card from the same generation iMac gives you the best shot at compatability & fit. I think that the main difference between the 20" and 24" Early 2008 iMac is the size of the display. You may want to double check the shape of the 20" and 24" logic boards. If they're the same...I would think that the XT would fit.

Or check the shape of the video cards themselves. If the XT and 8800 are the same shape & size...the XT may work.

The Radeon HD 2600 PRO was the other video card available for the 24" iMac. So it should definitely fit.

The reason the Nvidia cards fails one after another was, that due to environmental laws that year, they glue that binds the different layers of the GPU together had to be replaced. Although the replacement glue was, as you can see, not as good, and failed after some time.

Not sure if it was "glue" or lead-free solder that was the problem. Lead-free solder is not as strong as lead-solder. But for environmental reasons, it is/was used.

I know it sounds a bit odd to work on a 7 year old computer. But first of all, I dont feel like buying a new IMac for XX $ ;) But most of all, I like the idea that we dont just toss something away that could be fixed, and work perfectly for my, not so demanding, needs:)

Not odd at all. As I mentioned...I was working on a 2009 computer last week. And I have MUCH older Mac's that I work on form time to time.

My point about cost is...you don't want to pay $150-$200+ for a replacement video card for a $300-$350 computer (if it doesn't make financial sense). In many cases...buying another 100% WORKING 24" Early 2008 iMac...can be more cost effective (cheaper) than trying to repair a failing/broken one. Since the residual value of the broken iMac + the replacement video card cost can be greater than just buying another working one.

Here's a link for a replacement 2600 Pro video card for a 24" Early 2008 iMac for $150:

Intel iMac ATI Radeon 2600 HD Pro 256MB Video Card

- Nick

p.s. And like I mentioned earlier. Depending on the video probkems you are having...you could try what I did on my 2009 iMac...replacing the thermal pads & thermal grease (before buying anything). This would only cost you about $10 bucks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.