What format to choose for My Passport ultra?

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am new here and looking for help with the proper format for how I would like to use my 1TB My Passport Ultra. Most of the threads I have found are for using it in Time Machine or Air Port, but this is not what I want to use it for. I want to use this drive for media only, mainly movies. Most of the files I have should not be more than 4GB, which I know is a cutoff for certain formats. I would like to be able to plug the drive into my bluray player and xbox 360 to access the movie files which is what I currently do with a thumb drive.

Right now it is formatted as Windows NT File System, which I am assuming is why I can't drag any of my files to it. I really don't have much knowledge on external drives/format options, so any help is greatly appreciated! If it matters, I am running OS X 10.7.5

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you wish to keep using that drive with your Xbox 360 and BR drive, then I suggest leaving it formatted to NTFS. You can't use HFS+ because the Xbox is not able to read it, and you don't want to use FAT since it's not a journaled files system and is prone to errors.

We usually recommend purchasing a driver which will allow reading and writing to the drive from your Mac. The driver we recommend is Paragon NTFS sold by Paragon Software for $19.95.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Check the documentation for the Blu Ray player and other devices you want to use. They may require a specific format (such as NTFS). If your devices require NTFS you'll need third-party software that allows the Mac to write to NTFS drives

You are right about why you can't drag files to the drive currently. Without software such as that mentioned above the Mac cannot write to NTFS drives.

OP
E
Reaction score
If you wish to keep using that drive with your Xbox 360 and BR drive, then I suggest leaving it formatted to NTFS. You can't use HFS+ because the Xbox is not able to read it, and you don't want to use FAT since it's not a journaled files system and is prone to errors.

We usually recommend purchasing a driver which will allow reading and writing to the drive from your Mac. The driver we recommend is Paragon NTFS sold by Paragon Software for $19.95.

So this driver will enable me to drag folders into the drive formatted as NTFS? Just want to make sure I am understanding right.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
So this driver will enable me to drag folders into the drive formatted as NTFS? Just want to make sure I am understanding right.

Yes, it's the only driver we recommend.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.