what do you guys use your external hard drives for?

I

Irvin

Hey guys,
i wana know what everyone uses their external drives for. That will give me some ideas as to what i should use mine for most effectively. :)
More specefically, do you guys use for music with itunes, photos with iphoto, movies, whatever.
Just let us know what you use them for and how you use them for that! Thanks! :cool:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I use mine specifically for backup only. With 160gb hard drive in my iMac, I don't need to store anything externally :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 3.2ghz/4TB/16GBram - Mac Book Pro 2.4ghz Intel 2 duo core/4GBram/750GB
I have three 120GB external Western Digital Firewire drives, and I've never had an issue, other than I fill them up too quickly! I use them for capturing cartoons, TV shows, and more! I thought I might have some drop frames when capturing, but so far they've been pretty reliable at 7200rpm's!

OP
J

jp_tix

i use my 180GB LaCie HD for the stuff i don't need when going out with my powerbook. for example backups, software, 40GB of music ...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Since my powerbook only has 37 gb I use my 250gb external for all of my iTunes music, any concerts that I download (they are allowed by the bands I listen to), install some programs on them, backups

OP
L

lar5one

My PB has a mere 40gb as well, so I use my LaCie drive for pretty much everything that's not software.

OP
O

octohunter

I use mine for backup only. I run Retrospect to backup the entire system weekly and I also backup any modified files daily.

Just a tip- Run a virus scan before backing up. This way you wont also be backing up the virus that just destroyed your data of which you hope to have on your external.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Flat Panel iMac -15" 1.5GHz, 80GB HDD, 128MB ATI video card, 1GB RAM- PowerBook
I use my internal 160GB hard drive for all my applications and some misc stuff and my 2 160GB external hard drives for : iTunes, iPhoto pictures, iDVD creations, Photoshop creations, my website, my Flash stuff, movies from DVD's and for backing up my internal drive.

Both of my external drives are from Lacie and they have been wonderful so far.

OP
Q

QuickieMart

I have a Lacie FireWire 250gb drive for ProTools sessions, and a 30gb VST for backup stuff only. Lately though, they haven't been showing up on my desktop, along with my glyph burner,..... and I don't know why. This just started to happen. Mac site has been no help,.....any suggestions??

OP
P

prophet

I'm going to be using mine for video storage when I start editing again (I use Adobe Premier, but I'm gonna start using Final Cut Pro 4 as soon as I figgure out how to use it).

And I'll probably get another one soon after that just to back up my iBook's harddisk and for other media storage (i.e. mp3s, movies I'm not editing, etc.)

OP
J

jugadro

I partitioned 60GB of my LaCie 250GB External solely for backing up my ibook's 60 GB Hard drive (after losing it all recently).
The rest is for convenient access to lots of old photos - although haven't quite figured out how to easily switch between the iPhoto libraries on my internal and external drives.

Reaction score
Only for backup, I never have a high volume of personal files or programs so internal hard drive space is usually sufficient.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
its....ALIVE!!!!!!!

attack of the zombie thread....ack!

Reaction score
D3v1L80Y said:
attack of the zombie thread....ack!

Wow, I didn't notice how old this thread was, there have been a lot of threads coming back from the dead lately.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM
octohunter said:
I use mine for backup only. I run Retrospect to backup the entire system weekly and I also backup any modified files daily.

Just a tip- Run a virus scan before backing up. This way you wont also be backing up the virus that just destroyed your data of which you hope to have on your external.

The only virus to ever do anything to Unix was created in 1988. I think Apple has that built-in to the OS.

Reaction score
to_tough_to_die said:
The only virus to ever do anything to Unix was created in 1988. I think Apple has that built-in to the OS.

Even for Windows, I would be more worried about hard drive failure than a virus that wipes your hard drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM
mynameis said:
Even for Windows, I would be more worried about hard drive failure than a virus that wipes your hard drive.

Well, thing is that most viruses are created to steal your personal info, they really don't get anything if you don't have anything on your hard drive to steal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
to_tough_to_die said:

Read THIS.

They may not be viruses, but the holes are there.

OP
A

akira

mynameis said:
Wow, I didn't notice how old this thread was, there have been a lot of threads coming back from the dead lately.

i have a 1 TB external drive which i use for video editing

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.