What do I need to plug in a non-USB sound mixer into Macbook Pro 2020?

Reaction score
I was just wondering if the Macbook Pro 2020 had a line-in jack? If so, what cable should I purchase so I can plug in a non-USB sound mixer in?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
From what I have read, there is a headphone port, which will accept headsets with mics, but I can't tell if it will accept a mixer.

Which mixer do you have, and what output cable/port? You would need to look for a USB-C to ???? cable or adapter.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I have a mixer connected to my iMac with a USB connection on the back that resembles the end of a printer cable. My work computer has a USB C port like the MacBook Pro. I think a cable like this will work. I'll let you know for sure tomorrow.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I was just wondering if the Macbook Pro 2020 had a line-in jack? If so, what cable should I purchase so I can plug in a non-USB sound mixer in?
I misread your initial post. The cable I linked to above works with USB mixers. That would be the easiest to work with ad require the fewest adapters /simplest connection to make.

I'm assuming that your mixer does not support USB connections? This method should work. It relies on two different cables.

1. Connect this USB C to 1/8” Splitter to the computer.
2. Connect a 1/8" to TRS cable from the left and right Main Output channels on the mixer to the microphone side of the splitter.
3. To send computer output to the mixer, use a second 1/8" to TRS cable to connect from the headphone side of the splitter to the left and right sides of an input channel on the mixer.

There are probably other options that would also work. One could, for example, replace the splitter in step 1 with one of the many USB C-based sound cards such as this.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.