What computer should I get?

T

texaslonghorn34

I currently own an 700 MHz iBook G3. I really want to get a new computer because this one is getting a bit outdated for me. I really want an apple because of iLife and other apps. Also, I've always owned an apple and feel most comfortable on one but I really like to play videogames and the 16 MB video card in my iBook just isn't enough for today's games. I definately want a laptop because I travel. I am not an extreme gamer though but I think I will need a 64 MB video card so that it will last me a while. I am a student and don't have enough money to throw down on a new PowerBook. Does anybody know when newer iBooks will come out with better video cards? I can wait a bit longer but wanted to get one before the beginning of next year. When I bought this one apple came out with new iBooks the very next month. I don't only use my computer for games though. I use it for pictures, and watching movies. I have made a couple movies on it but will probably make more when I get a digital video camera and an underwater digital camera for surf trips. Why do apple's video cards on their laptops have less memory than Windows based computers? Sorry for the long post but I was just wondering if someone could offer some advise. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
iBooks were recently updated so unless something is announced at WWDC at the end of June I wouldn't expect any new release until Sept-Novemeber somewhere in that range.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!
How about one of those super fast babies?

zx80.jpg

a custom job?

trs80.jpg

or a cute Apple Mac, looks great on any desktop.

iic.jpg

something with a little more kick?

se.jpg

Check put the packaging... you didn't ever get a PC packed like this.... like EVER!!!

AppleDivers.jpg

OP
N

nicholas

Wow, that brings back memories of my days in elementary school. Rocky's Boots was the game I loved.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!
how about this:

zx81.jpg

or this even:

Dragon32.jpg

something expandable?

Tandy-1000HX.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Norwood is a Mid-2010 15 inch MacBook Pro with 10.11.1.
hype.it: Those pictures are soooo funny. :D

It reminds me of my first Mac experience in 8th grade with OS 7 or 8. My parents made me take the class to improve my typing speed. As I recall, the computer was very cooperative. :D

We used Mavis Beacon teaches typing, and I think I improved a point or two (from 8 words per minute to 10 words per minute) :D

But seriously, get a Power Book or a Power Mac. I have a Power Mac G4, and I love it dearly, even if it is in storage at the moment. *fake sniffle*

OP
N

Nightblade

This is a bit off-topic, but why isn't the text wrapped in this particular thread? Is anyone else getting that? I'm using Safari now, and the text isn't wrapped in this topic, and it's quite annoying.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Has to do with the size of the photos being displayed above.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry about the size of those pics.. they are links to someone's else's site

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Those are awesome -- what a collection! :p May I suggest an iBook G4 1.25GHz with 512 meg RAM? (any size display) :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not much have changed in the world of the PC...

ibm-pc-5100.jpg

Still Big!
IBM%20PC-XT-1.jpg

Still Boxy:
ibm-pc-5150.jpg

OK... PC users would like you believe that Windows doesn't crash... at least in a principle:

sasser.jpg

Still Crashes:
vb2.jpg

Do you trust your ATM machine?
beehive_atm.jpg

Shopping will never be the same again - Macy
macy2.jpg

Missed your flight? London Heathrow
london_heathrow_sm.jpg

Holy crap! Crashed in NYC!!!! Again!
new_york_subway_bluescreen.jpg

Enough Said.... So which Personal Computer you gonna get?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmm.. and when people say you should secure your Mac.. they don't mean this:

enclosure_combo.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)
Not to rile anyone's feathers but Macs were just as crash prone and unreliable before OS X came out. ;)

You can now thank Unix for our system stability.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
I don't know about that... macs where always pretty stable...nothing comparable today..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I love student discount (sig)
lol thats some pretty sweet pictures :D

I have the new iBook and its brilliant, and can play all the games I have tried on it

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I have never had any problem with the OS 9 or less. I believe it depend on what you install on your system. I tend to keep it close to default as possible. That kept me out of trouble.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.