What are your 5 must have Programs for a new Mac user?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
5K iMac, i7 Turbo, 512 SSD, Radeon R9 M295X, 24GB Ram
I'm wondering if members could post there 5 must have programs that are NOT already installed on the iMac. They don't have to free programs either. Any programs, paid or free. As a soon to be user I love learning about new programs. You don't have to go into details as I can look up each program and do research on it.

I read Chas great post from 2010 including Flip4Mac and Perian does that information still hold true today 5 years later?

Thanks for all the help!

Last edited:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Don't you have enough to do already. Such as:

- Visiting your local Apples Store to look at that iMac.
- FINALLY purchasing the iMac.
- Researching the video software you want to use.

;);)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Don't you have enough to do already. Such as:

- Visiting your local Apples Store to look at that iMac.
- FINALLY purchasing the iMac.
- Researching the video software you want to use.

Hi Nick - LOL! :) Had not noticed the OP does not even have a Mac yet - OH MY!

I agree, there is SO MUCH that comes w/ a new Mac, that the first duty is to see what is already present on the machine and then decide what else one may need - I'll hold off my opinions until a further post to the thread. ;) Dave

P.S. Nick - wanted to 'increase your reputation' but must spread it around! You likely have the maximum balloons already.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Hi Nick - LOL! :)

P.S. Nick - wanted to 'increase your reputation' but must spread it around! You likely have the maximum balloons already.

If you got the message I think you did it probably appeared because Nick was the last person you gave rep to.

OP
Sharkz
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
True that Nick LOL. But I like to stay busy and learn now to save time. Had to work today so I won't be traveling to the Apple store out of town until next weekend. We have a winter storm warning for tomorrow and the SuperBowl of course.

Won't be pulling the trigger on the iMac for two weeks for a couple of reasons I won't get into here. But during those two weeks I want to continue to research and learn all I can. I'm hoping to shorten the learning curve as much as possible. Been watching quite a few youtube videos that are fun.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Yeah get your new mac then post what you are doing with it, then we will start the fun of debating what programs we each thing are essential for our own macs! Besides all your research is great but the hands on experience will give you the best idea of what you need to know.

Besides we enjoy reading about the new macs other bought.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2012 MBP - 13" i5 3210M, 16GB RAM, 240GB SSD, 500GB storage (in place of optical).
if you migrating from a windows universe then get VLC
its a free video player that will play basically everything....
flip4mac might do the same thing though.....

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
True that Nick LOL. But I like to stay busy and learn now to save time. Had to work today so I won't be traveling to the Apple store out of town until next weekend.

Won't be pulling the trigger on the iMac for two weeks for a couple of reasons I won't get into here. But during those two weeks I want to continue to research and learn all I can. I'm hoping to shorten the learning curve as much as possible. Been watching quite a few youtube videos that are fun.

I was mostly teasing…but at the same time relax.:)

- Deciding on the exact model computer & configuration is the most important thing at this point (which I think that you're very close).
- Then you got to get to the Apple Store for some hands on time (if you are still deciding to do this).
- Then you need to order it online (since it will be a custom configuration). I think that the Apple stores only have the stock configurations. I don't think that they stock much in the way of customized units.

As far as the 5 must have apps. Probably mostly maintenance (Onyx) & anti-adware & anti-popup stuff.

- Nick

OP
Sharkz
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah I knew you were joking. ;)

Its mostly my OCD. My wife says I way over research stuff. I research everything to death one of downfalls. I'm definitely still planning on an Apple Store visit. Just wish it were tomorrow.

Thanks again everyone... Off to read some more..

C

chas_m

As I say in my essay below, get to know the Apple programs that come with your machine. But what I didn't say in the essay is that you don't have to wait till you get the machine to start on that.

MacWorld.com has some good info and tutorials on a wide variety of Mac apps, but focus on the ones that come with your machine -- like Safari, Mail, iMovie, iTunes. Apple's own site has a fair amount of resources as well (see "Mac101" which is now called "Mac Basics.")

MacNN.com has been doing a lot of reviews lately, as well as a "Pointers" column. Also a good way to hear about updates and new things to discovery/buy.

OP
Sharkz
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Chas I'm watching the "Mac basics" videos and wanted to say thanks! Thumbs up. Didn't even know they were on the site. as a switcher I would recommend adding a link or a note about that in your essay. Its very informative. Thank you again..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Well, everyone else covered the rest, so...

-An alternate browser like Firefox or Chrome
-Carbon Copy Cloner
-VLC Player
-MS Office or LibreOffice
-Handbrake

Have fun!

Reaction score
New browser firefox chrome.

indeed

VLC media player indeed.

Libreoffice indeed

great suggestions

I recommend wineskin for when you want to run windows apps without having windows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
If you like to tinker, maybe not essential, but for fun:
TechTool Pro

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
If you're like me and enjoy spending the effort of checking stuff out (I call it "researching" :) ) while you're sitting around watching the tube or other inane stuff:

Additional hardware required:
2 external drives and one 8 GB USB flash drive

1. Another browser - Personally, I keep 2 additional browsers for just in case - this is the first thing I do on every new computer/OS install.

2. Bootable clone backup software, either SuperDuper!, CCC or Chronosync - use one of these in addition to Time Machine ( I use SuperDuper! only because it was the top rated pick when I got my first Mac in '06 and is still doing exactly what it's supposed to do.)

3. A separate bootable OS X installer - hence the need for the flash drive above - the createinstallmedia option is not that hard once you read it through a couple of times - link.

imho - "everyone" should have the above 3 items in their arsenal.

4. File management - XtraFinder and muCommander - both free - There are some good paid apps if you are looking for additional toolsets like Forklift and Path Finder. (Have not used muCommander much at all since XtraFinder, but it's dual pane interface is nice to have around when you want it.)

5. File search - FindAnyFile &/or EasyFind quickly come to mind

Honorable mention:
WhatSize - almost required if you tend to fill your drives. There are free and other paid ones - I have them and only use this one.
OnyX - Not only is this the "only" so called "cleaner" recommended 'round here, but has some nice little utilities included when you need them. (Ex. Show hidden files without the need of opening the Terminal and a lot of others.)

After the above, it comes down to what tasks you intend to do with your computer.

OK, I think I'm done editing now....

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.