• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

What are you doing with old macs/iPhones etc.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Attention Modes/Admins: Feel free to move this as you see fit.

Many of our members have one or more Macs around that no longer hold the place of honor as our main machines. In an effort to keep these machines out of the local landfill I'd love to know what our members are doing with their older gear. I used to advocate passing this kind of gear on to schools/charitable organizations but many of these groups have no one to support that gear when issues arise.

I know about the creative uses like goldfish tanks out of old all n one Macs. I'm curious about what members are doing with aging macs, iPhones, and other gear.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Good question Sly, but being a bit of a packrat, most of my old Macs and stuffa are down in our large basement on a large work table. They may get used once in a blue moon or so, mainly to recover old files and documents for those who left it too long to do so themselves.

I used to advocate passing this kind of gear on to schools/charitable organizations
A local Mac guy and his son used to do this and continued on while he was retired for a while, but gave up sometime ago as the schools and the needing mom's and their children all along faster newer Macs and it seems a few years old Macs weren't good enough or fast enough for them.

I've seen pallets of old computers, even fairly recent Macs being wrapped in plastic obviously heading for the recyclers at the local SallyAnn stores.

Times have changed, and so have the attitudes it seems...

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
...I'm curious about what members are doing with aging macs...

Uses to which an old Mac can be put:

A scanner station. Hook it to a scanner and have scans uploaded to Dropbox, for population to your other machines.

A spam drone. Load your e-mail accounts and SpamSieve and have all mail filtered.

A media server. Add an external hard drive for media. Run iTunes and share content to other devices or airplay speakers.

A backup server. Install CrashPlan and set it to receive backups from "friends" -- your other computers.

A print server. Connect a printer and share it throughout the network.

An airplay receiver. Attach it to your TV or audio system and use it to receive airplay streams from other devices.

Reaction score
...I'm curious about what members are doing with aging macs, iPhones, and other gear.

If you don't see a use for it anymore, you can send your device to someone who can see that it will be properly handled:

Freecycle is an online free recycling/gifting movement designed to 
keep tangible items out of landfills....
a lot of computers get tossed 
out and there are many people who can use an old computer or a part 
from that computer.
The Freecycle Network

Apple has a Reuse and Recycling Program.
Apple Trade In - Apple
You may even be able to score a gift card!

OP
S

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
All Good ideas Randy.

I had an old PowerMac 6500 back in the day that was set up as a file server. I have an all in one printer networked at the moment so I may not set up a scanning station. I have an account on my iMac that I could uses to run as a media server but I might offload that function to my MacBook Pro. I currently have an Apple TV 3 connected to my system and it reads our media but it's starting to show its age. Plus using a media server would open up formats iTunes doesn't read easily.

A couple of other ideas occurred to me:
1. Keep an older Mac around to run 32-bit software (say the Harmony remote software for example).
2. If my niece doesn't like the used MacBook Ar I picked up recently, that becomes my "emergency" Mac and the MacBook Pro will go to my classroom to run some Automator driven tasks.

Edit: Just for kick and giggles next time I boot the MB Pro I'll look up the serial number and feed it into the list to see what I can get in return. My bet is the result will be next to $0

Last edited:

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I'm very fortunate to have been able to pass on all my used iMacs, iPhones and iPad to friends & their offspring or to local charities.

The slight downside - if it can even be called that - is that those friends and their children see me as Mr Fix-It and I'm constantly being asked to advise on how some app, or other, works; or to sort out problems - within the limited extent of my ability.

I'm happy to say that my first iMac from 2009 and all the subsequent ones, as well as the iDevices, are still in active service. The oldest of the recipients is an 82 year old with a 2012 iMac and an iPhone 5.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
My first ever iMac (a mid 2007 20" model) is still in use after I handed it down to my sister. My 2012 27" iMac again has ben given to my sister.

Whenever I get a new iPhone (not often - I still have an iPhone X) Lisa (my wife) gets my old one. We've got about 4 or 5 phones now in our loft!

Everything else I've still got. My 2010 white macbook which saw me through my months in hospital is retired and packed away in its original box. I'll never ever part with it - too many memories.

My mid 2015 MBP is now used as a "spare". What a luxury I know.

It's helped that I've really looked after all my Apple products - kept all the original packaging so when they're "retired" I can re-package them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
I pass my old phones onto my young cousin.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
My original iMac from 2008 is running my home automation. An older mini is a video server in my theater setup. I trade in my iPhones, so I only have one, a 6s that is in service as a security camera. I've passed on iPads to a pastor in a local church who needs them for his ministry. I have one idle MBP that is waiting in the wings for the home automation iMac to die. The iMac apparently knows this young whippersnapper is there and refuses to go quietly...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac and Macbook
My 1995 7200 Power Mac or whatever it was called is in the closet along with all its software and connectors and monitor. I was thinking the other day I ought to toss it. I have the scanner that I bought with it also. I remember the first time I scanned something. I was so amazed.

0so

Reaction score
Low End Mac

I joined this site way-back-when. Its been a real life saver keeping my old "classic" Macs and some of that great old software alive and functioning, even if its just just for the fun of it. ".. "Welcome to Low End Mac.
We believe in the long term value of Apple hardware. You should be able to use your Apple gear as long as it helps you remain productive and meets your needs, upgrading only as necessary. We want to help maximize the life of your Apple gear. .." ".. Low End Mac began as a hobby in April 1997. Although it was a successful commercial venture for a while, it is now a user-supported online resource that covers almost everything Apple: Macs, both old and new, and iPhones, iPads, iPods, Apple TV, Apple II, Newton, and some other tech as well – especially vintage stuff. .."

Attention Modes/Admins: Feel free to move this as you see fit.

Many of our members have one or more Macs around that no longer hold the place of honor as our main machines. In an effort to keep these machines out of the local landfill I'd love to know what our members are doing with their older gear. I used to advocate passing this kind of gear on to schools/charitable organizations but many of these groups have no one to support that gear when issues arise.

I know about the creative uses like goldfish tanks out of old all n one Macs. I'm curious about what members are doing with aging macs, iPhones, and other gear.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
"Welcome to Low End Mac.
We believe in the long term value of Apple hardware. You should be able to use your Apple gear as long as it helps you remain productive and meets your needs, upgrading only as necessary.

+1!!!! I agree completely and just what I have done since 1990 when we bought the LC, color monitor and StyleWriter printer bundle on sale!!!

- Patrick
======

OP
S

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've used / followed that site for quite a while. Excellent resource for Mac info (especially those designated as "vintage").

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.