What are the best accessories for external storage?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" macbook pro 6.1, 2.66 GHz Intel i7 8GB DDR3
My mom is giving me her iphone 5 since she got a new one this weekend...but I have just one problem. My 4s is 32 gb, but her iphone 5 is only 16gb. Even after deleting a bunch of apps and music I don't use anymore, I still couldn't get it down to 16gb...since the only thing that would free up any more space is giving up the many games I like to play, I need external storage. :p

I did find a sandisk wireless flash drive, but I would really prefer something that didn't have to be charged. Not to mention that $40 for 32gb is just ridiculous when I know a 32gb flash drive doesn't cost that much! Do you guys know of any accessories that will allow me to plug in a SDHC card or a flash drive into my phone that will also allow me to listen to my itunes music directly off the storage device? Preferably something that doesn't rely on wifi like the sandisk drive that I found? I'm really hoping there is a good accessory out there where I can just plug it into my phone and connect a card or usb stick on the other end.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
First thing is, you are not going to find a "cheap" solution for this issue. Yes a 32gb USB or SDHC cards are cheaper, BUT you will need to buy something that is made for the solution of extending the 16GB storage on the iPhone.
The best I have found, and a mate uses it, is the Morphie Space Pack that comes in 16/32/64GB sizes.
Alternatively, there is iBridge, Any of the items in this Macworld Article or you buy the Lightening to Card Reader Adapter from Apple for $29.

Personally I would go the Morphie Pack, as it has 100% extra Battery, is a case, and also has up to 64GB Extra Storage, and you don't have a long extension hanging out of your iPhone.

HTH

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
My mom is giving me her iphone 5 since she got a new one this weekend...but I have just one problem. My 4s is 32 gb, but her iphone 5 is only 16gb. Even after deleting a bunch of apps and music I don't use anymore, I still couldn't get it down to 16gb...since the only thing that would free up any more space is giving up the many games I like to play, I need external storage.....................

Hello - you've already received some storage options - now, I have a few suggestions but uncertain what you need the most? Please tell (or show us w/ a screen capture) what is now taking up your storage? Do you need room (or off-phone storage) for games, music, pictures, and/or others? There are other cloud or wireless options if music may help you clear up space - also keep in mind that you need to have some 'free' storage just for regular function, maintenance, and updating of the iPhone. Let us know - Dave :)

P.S. as already stated, this is not going to be a 'free' ride - you'll need to spend some money regardless of what route chosen, so I guess one question is whether to keep your old phone or consider a new one w/ the amount of storage desired? Just another thought w/o really knowing your budget?

OP
zippythecellist
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Since my music takes up about 10GB, that's what I'm looking to put on a memory card/storage device since my apps and documents can easily fit on a 16GB phone with plenty of room to spare for function and maintenance. I did consider cloud options at first, but I already use a lot of data between all of my games...ESPECIALLY ingress. :p So I don't think that would actually leave much data for music. If I get the camera connector kit, can I access my music directly from the card? Apple's page mentions it is compatible with photo and video, but nothing about music. I also found this on amazon the other day...it does look like it will work for what I want it for, but one of the video reviews mentioned it's not mfi certified. Is that bad?

And of course I am not expecting a free ride, but some of the prices on these storage things are totally ridiculous! The morphie space pack definitely had me interested for a second, but $180 for 32 GB and a 1700mah external battery is completely insane to me since that's not even as big as another external charger I got for $20-30.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Since my music takes up about 10GB, that's what I'm looking to put on a memory card/storage device since my apps and documents can easily fit on a 16GB phone with plenty of room to spare for function and maintenance. I did consider cloud options at first, but I already use a lot of data between all of my games...ESPECIALLY ingress.........................

Hello again - let me give you just one option that I've been using for a few years - AirStash Wi-Fi Device - click on the link and take a look at the device below.

Data, including music, is stored on SD cards (up to large capacities) - there is no internal memory; its battery is charged by a USB connection. A free app is available for your iDevice (for me an iPad) - the AirStash creates a personal Wi-Fi site that connects to an iDevice - files can be transfer in either direction; music and films can be played directly from the SD cards - now there are other similar type wireless gadgets but this one has been around a while, is small enough to fit into a pocket, great as a travel device, and relatively inexpensive. Dave :)

61N5caGHcnL._SL1500_.jpg

OP
zippythecellist
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hello again - let me give you just one option that I've been using for a few years - AirStash Wi-Fi Device - click on the link and take a look at the device below.

Data, including music, is stored on SD cards (up to large capacities) - there is no internal memory; its battery is charged by a USB connection. A free app is available for your iDevice (for me an iPad) - the AirStash creates a personal Wi-Fi site that connects to an iDevice - files can be transfer in either direction; music and films can be played directly from the SD cards - now there are other similar type wireless gadgets but this one has been around a while, is small enough to fit into a pocket, great as a travel device, and relatively inexpensive. Dave :)

How long does the battery typically last for you? The only thing stopping me from getting one of these wireless battery powered things is the fact that the battery probably doesn't last more than a few hours...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How long does the battery typically last for you? The only thing stopping me from getting one of these wireless battery powered things is the fact that the battery probably doesn't last more than a few hours...

Hello again - I cannot tell you from personal experience, i.e. only having used the device to transfer images from my camera's SD card which required only minutes of use. However, see the the image below w/ information from the AirStash Website stating that up to 7 hours can be expected.

As to charging the device, about any USB port w/ power or USB-AC charger will work - see the quote immediately below from their FAQ section of the support page of their website - I actually just plug the device into my iPad wall charger. Dave :)

"AirStash A02 can be used with many USB power adapters that support 500mA (USB 2.0 and later), including the iPhone/iPad Mini charger (1 amp) or the iPad charger (2.1 amp). AirStash A02 will draw a maximum of 500mA."

Screen Shot 2015-04-06 at 9.40.44 PM.png

OP
zippythecellist
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well then, I'll definitely add that device to the list of ones I'm considering then! :)

BTW, is using non mfi certified accessories bad? One of the other storage devices I'm considering seems to be good, but one of the reviews mentioned it's not mfi certified...I'm not sure if that is a bad thing or not.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Well then, I'll definitely add that device to the list of ones I'm considering then! :)

BTW, is using non mfi certified accessories bad? One of the other storage devices I'm considering seems to be good, but one of the reviews mentioned it's not mfi certified...I'm not sure if that is a bad thing or not.

MFi relates to "Made for iPhone/iPad/iPod" and is a programm Apple has put out, to make sure that any hardware made for the 3 devices, is of high quality and is backed by them.

If I had a choice as to MFi Certified or not, I wouldn't go near it. Then again, depending on what it is, and how popular it it, but my reckoning would be, if any company is happy with their product, then should go into the MFi Program and get certified by Apple, and get the Stickers to prove they are.

tPHVvov.jpg

At the end of the day, it comes down to you, and how much you like you device and how long do you want it to work ?? I wouldn't use a Non-MFi product with my $800 iPad Air 2.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Are non-MFi certified accessories bad? Well, not sure that I can really answer that question, i.e. likely depends on the product and its purpose - for myself, I buy only Apple products for cables and DL programs from the App store (where you can obtain the 'free' AirStash utility) - however, there are reliable items out there that are not going to have the MFi certification, e.g. I have several sets of bluetooth (BT) travel speakers, BT headphones, several battery packs, the AirStash, and a number of AC dual charging units that I've bought at airports - don't believe any carry that Apple label and all have worked just fine for me.

As to your original question, below is a post that I left in the iPad Forums not too long ago discussing some of the Wi-Fi storage devices found on Amazon - don't believe any are MFi certified but should probably work fine for your needs - basically, a hardware device communicating via well standardized Wi-Fi protocols, so no plug-in issues w/ the iPad's docking connection - and the apps are benign, so I see no problem in giving one of these devices a try, and not sure how many certified choices are available?

SO, bottom line is really your decision - I've had no issues in 2 years w/ the AirStash - but if you feel strongly about wanting the MFi certification, then you might have some searching to do - good luck and let us know what you buy - Dave :)

Hello - of course to answer your question - these have been around for a number of years, i.e. small portable devices that create a 'personal' Wi-Fi network and w/ a proprietary app on your iDevice can transfer and/or stream information, such as music or movies. There are two general categories - those that use a mechanical HD (such as the Western Digital offerings) and those that use removable storage, typically SD cards as used in cameras and of variable capacity - just go to Amazon and search on 'Wi-Fi storage for iPad' and plenty of items (and pages) will be displayed.

As for myself, I've been using the AirStash for several years - the device sets up its own Wi-Fi network and communicates w/ the iPad via an app on the iDevice - click the link and that in the others mentioned to go to their Amazon pages (read the reviews, decide on the features wanted, and the price range).

Another that has a dedicated thread in the forum (as does the AirStash) is the Apotop - again click the link; also, pics below of each of these devices - and to emphasize, I have used only the AirStash.

Now, I use a lot of USB flash drives and SD cards and my favorite brands have been SanDisk & Kingston, out of curiosity, these companies offer similar products - pics below and links - SanDisk and Kingston - SO, do some linking and reading - a product awaits your use. Dave :)

Screen Shot 2015-04-13 at 8.17.05 PM.png

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.