What AMD and Intel processors would be comparable to the G4 1.5 GHz?

T

Tron

Also, can the new 17" PowerBook use 400 MHz PC3200 RAM? What's the battery life like when watching a DVD? how about when surfing with 802.11g?

Trying to decide between the 17" 1.5 GHz PowerBook, an AMD 3400+ equipped laptop, or waiting for Centrino 2 later this year.

OP
C

Chamorro

Tron said:
Also, can the new 17" PowerBook use 400 MHz PC3200 RAM? What's the battery life like when watching a DVD? how about when surfing with 802.11g?

Trying to decide between the 17" 1.5 GHz PowerBook, an AMD 3400+ equipped laptop, or waiting for Centrino 2 later this year.

Have you thought about the software you want to run? I only ask b/c those are three very different machines....
Anyway, it's difficult to make a direct comparison.....I'm going to guess a 1.5 GHz G4 is roughly equivalent to a 2.8GHz P4 in most data-crunching apps (such as Photoshop, movie editors, etc.). The AMD and P4's w/ higher GHZ ratings will most likely provide better gaming performance.

As far as battery life...I don't know, the RAM can probably be looked up w/ some research.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
When Apple first started with the MegaHertz myth they compared a 867 G4 to a 1.7gHz Pentium 4....So its roughly double the speed

The Powerbook uses 333mhz PC2700 so I don't think the PC3200 would work with it.

I have a 15" which isn't as powerful as what you are looking at but I get about 4-4 1/2 hours battery life with the airport off so I can easily fit in a whole movie...I havent tried the DVD powermode but that probably helps as well

With Airport Enabled you are knocking off about 1 hr of battery life but it is still excellent and its just a click of the button to turn of the radio to increase the battery life

OP
T

Tron

Thanks. It looks like would be nearly identical for what I'd be doing most. I'd primarily be web browsing with 802.11g, using Photoshop, and playing around with my PPC. (I read there are some good sync programs for Mac) I would also watch a movie every week or so. I do sometimes dabble with GBA EMU on the PC. Are there any GBA emulators for Mac?

I wonder why so many manufacturers don't build laptops with PC 3200 support. The cost is nearly identical and it gives a nice boost, especially with the AMD 64 processors. I would like something different. I have Windows or Linux on all my PC's, older laptops and PDA's, so a new PowerBook would be a nice change. Perhaps I'll wait until Centrino 2 arrives and hope Apple has a G5 PowerBook then as well. That would make for a nice selection, especially since the AMD 3700+ and a new FX chip should be available by then as well.

Anyone have a link to some benchmarks comparing these new PowerBooks with the other top-end offerings available?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Tron said:
Don't use pc RAM! Could cause harm!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs
witeshark said:
All RAM chips in PowerBooks are PC2700 :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
I thought he meant pc i86 as in non - Mac

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
Umm, there's no such thing as non - Mac RAM.

OP
T

Tron

One more question in addition to the above, what is the screen response time for the new 17" PowerBook?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I love student discount (sig)
I read its 25ms on these boards :) (wonder if thats good for gaming :confused: )

OP
S

SexyHT

Chamorro said:
Have you thought about the software you want to run? I only ask b/c those are three very different machines....
Anyway, it's difficult to make a direct comparison.....I'm going to guess a 1.5 GHz G4 is roughly equivalent to a 2.8GHz P4 in most data-crunching apps (such as Photoshop, movie editors, etc.). The AMD and P4's w/ higher GHZ ratings will most likely provide better gaming performance.

As far as battery life...I don't know, the RAM can probably be looked up w/ some research.

Sorry but that is not true I spoke with two apple represenitives and they told me you multiply the prosser by 1.6 times. They told me the same thing at the apple store in New York. So it is roughly a 2.4ghz pentium 4 and an Amd Xp 2400+ that really isnt fast since today windows notebook reached 3.8ghz which are offered by eurocom and an Amd 3700+ which is also offered by eurocom. To tell you the truth I really dont care apple are great and they are not ment to be for speed. I admit about a decade ago apple's were once faster than pc's I mean like 2 times faster but know in 2004 apple has fallen behind. It is mostly motorola's fault and ibm. if apple would have reached 3ghz they would have been on par or superior to a windows pc but who know what apple has up their sleve maybe a dual 3ghz powerbook -lol-

OP
S

SexyHT

Tron said:
Thanks. It looks like would be nearly identical for what I'd be doing most. I'd primarily be web browsing with 802.11g, using Photoshop, and playing around with my PPC. (I read there are some good sync programs for Mac) I would also watch a movie every week or so. I do sometimes dabble with GBA EMU on the PC. Are there any GBA emulators for Mac?

I wonder why so many manufacturers don't build laptops with PC 3200 support. The cost is nearly identical and it gives a nice boost, especially with the AMD 64 processors. I would like something different. I have Windows or Linux on all my PC's, older laptops and PDA's, so a new PowerBook would be a nice change. Perhaps I'll wait until Centrino 2 arrives and hope Apple has a G5 PowerBook then as well. That would make for a nice selection, especially since the AMD 3700+ and a new FX chip should be available by then as well.

Anyone have a link to some benchmarks comparing these new PowerBooks with the other top-end offerings available?

I wouldnt even bother if a 1.33ghz g4 couldnt even match a 2.4ghz why would you think a 1.5ghz g4 could do any better. Trust me your going to cry go to barefeats.com for benchmarks. But i have a powerbook g4 1.5ghz and it runs pretty fast but it is a lot slower compared to my 2.8ghz hp notebook. Agian who cares apple uses the best operating system in the world Osx panther.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)
witeshark said:

RAM is RAM...it's all the same, when it comes to Mac or PC. The only differences are size, speed, and latency timings. The RAM that's in your Mac isn't special, it will work in almost any PC, and vice versa.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1.33 GHz PowerBook w/SuperDrive, 60GB HDD, 1.25G RAM.
Try my thread on sonething similiar you're asking.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4
No difference ...

witeshark said:

... unless you're talking PCxxx vs FPM vs EDO (old).

168-pin FPM is different from 168-pin SDRAM. A computer (say the PowerMac) that uses FPM won't accept SDRAM. The notches on the pin-side of the chip are not exactly the same place. Roughly 1mm off.

OP
S

SexyHT

Tron said:

If you need speed get the Amd 3400+. I would recomend the apple but it wont even come close! :mad: But I like to pretened That my powerbook g4 is the fastest thing in the world :cool: -lol- Sometimes I crack myself up

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.