What actually IS the difference between a 1.3 GHz and a 1.4 GHz processor?

Reaction score
Hello All!

I'm going to buy a Macbook Air. The only thing I have left to decide on is whether to buy the 2013 model with a 1.3 GHz processor or the 2014 model with a 1.4 GHz processor.

I'm going to buy refurbished, and the price difference between the two is $50. Is there actually any noticeable difference at all between the two processors?

Basically, the bottom line:
Is 100 MHz worth $50?

What do you all think? Thanks in advance.

C

chas_m

Both figures are just the "base" frequency of the machine, it scales up to a significantly higher figure under load in both cases.

I don't think you'll see any appreciable difference, but if you use very processor-dependent apps (let's say for example a compiler) then every bit of CPU power counts for something. Otherwise, I would say the difference is moot.

I would recommend the newer model over the older model because it has a more advanced and power-efficient chip, though, particularly if the price difference is so little.

OP
E
Reaction score

Thank you chas_m so much, very informative and helpful reply.

I also just read your switcher's guide as I am switching from windows. Great post, helped a lot. You're awesome! :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.