What a let down!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Planning to get a MBA entry level to get far away from Windows
My partner and I walked out of the iStore with our two brand new MBAs last week including Yosemite. Worked on them for a few great days, then tried to update software. Both the same message "Update unavailable with this Apple ID....". iStore says a "transmission problem" when they loaded Yosemite - (really??) -only solved by completely reloading everything from Windows plus reloading Yosemite. What a disappointment, what a let down!

Last edited:

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
With all of my Macs, I've always updated to a newer version with my Apple ID, but haven't had the opportunity to update to a point release.

With all versions of OS X now coming through the App Store, it is tied to your Apple ID. I believe the App Store gives you the option to tie your Apple ID to the existing installation. I know I had to do this for the pre-installed Pages/Numbers/Keynote installations on my rMBP when I got it to be able to update them.

When that connection is made, the updates to OS X should be fine with your Apple ID.

M

MacInWin

Yeah, I was wondering what an iStore was, too. And why the employees "loaded Yosemite" on the "brand new MBA's." I'm wondering if iStore is a third party place, where the employees open the boxes and upgrade to Yosemite using THEIR Apple IDs. If that's the case and if they didn't reset to factory new, then you'd see that error message because the OS is tied to the store's Apple ID.

M

MacInWin

Did a quick internet search. iStore is an Apple reseller in SA. Again, I wonder if the staff "helped" by installing Yosemite using some internal Apple ID and forgot to reset to factory so that the buyers could put their own Apple ID on the software.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I asked that question to one of our S. African members just the other day. Apparently, the "iStore" is the S. African version of an Apple store. However, I never did find out if it's Apple owned or franchised.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
A few of iStore photos::)

1009_istore_DSCN0963.jpg

10817711_317116421810968_1624987887_a.jpg
10431907_657716084284343_418806178_a.jpg

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Hmmm…??? Going on the storefront signs, I wonder what the difference is between an iStore and a 1 Store??? :\

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmmm…??? Going on the storefront signs, I wonder what the difference is between an iStore and a 1 Store??? :\

My mistake. Didn't mean to include a "1 Store" photo. But interesting none the less.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My mistake. Didn't mean to include a "1 Store" photo. But interesting none the less.:)

- Nick

Just where is that "1 Store"? I couldn't find anything with any web search. But it sure looks like an authorized Apple store. ;)

M

MacInWin

I think both signs say "Apple Reseller" so they are not Apple variants, but resellers. May be a small point, but there you are.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think both signs say "Apple Reseller" so they are not Apple variants, but resellers.

Yes…they both seem to say that. Interesting that if these are "authorized resellers" (and not Apple owned & operated)…how they still have the "look & feel" of an Apple Store.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Maybe they got some financial help from the mothership as apparently some BestBuy stores in Canada did with some sort of deal. Sort of a mini Apple Store within the store.

And any "Apple Reseller" sure has to be "authorized" by Apple, and God help you if you have an unrelated store displaying a large sign resembling the Apple logo as one local store discovered.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Maybe they got some financial help from the mothership as apparently some BestBuy stores in Canada did with some sort of deal. Sort of a mini Apple Store within the store.

The Best Buy's here don't look like that (at least the one's I've been to). The Apple products just get a "nook" of sorts in the Best Buy's…which doesn't look any different than the rest of the Best Buy store.

And any "Apple Reseller" sure has to be "authorized" by Apple, and God help you if you have an unrelated store displaying a large sign resembling the Apple logo as one local store discovered.

We also have stores called "Micro Center". Kind of a computing superstore (about 25 locations around the U.S.)…selling a lot of Windows computer stuff, peripherals, lot & lots of parts for building Windows computers. Lots of software, books, gaming machines, etc.

Pretty much the same thing as Best Buy. They sell Apple computers & other Apple goodies…but look nothing like an Apple Store. Just a small Apple department/nook for Apple products.

Same thing with department stores like Walmart and Target….and club stores like Sam's Club, Costco, and BJ's. All sell Apple products…but don't look like Apple Stores.

I agree. Maybe these "1 Stores" or "iStores" do get some extra money from Apple to help make the stores look like an "Apple Store". Or maybe these stores know that Apple has spent a lot of research money into how an Apple Store "should look"…and they're just copying (why reinvent the wheel).:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Here in York (and at other locations) we have Apple reseller Stormfront. Their stores look just like Apple stores. I'm assuming it's Apple that insists on a certain 'look and feel' to their authorised resellers to maintain the premium identity.
Service is just as good at Stormfront as at an Apple store BTW.

C

chas_m

So, bottom line ... Jgardner went to a fake Apple Store and got lousy service, but somehow that's Yosemite's fault. Of course.

M

MacInWin

Wonder where the OP went? I guess either 1) the problem went away or 2) we scared them away with the rambling about Apple Resellers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.9 GHz i5 24GB RAM, iPhone 5 64Gb, Apple TV 160Gb, Time Capsule 1Tb.
3) They are too busy enjoying their new MBA's (after iStore fixed the problem they appear to have created) to notice that you (us?) lot have been talking about them?

Reaction score
Actually what i find is funny and what you completely forgot is the apple id verification is only used during the install to verify if you have a apple id it does nothing with updates at all.

Because when you first startup yosemite the system asks for your apple id and if you choose skip it will block you from the app store until you enter a iCloud apple id remember the apple id system is different on yosemite it uses iCloud id system not apple id system

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.