Well, that didn't work (restoring new iPhone from MBP backup)

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I got my new iPhone SE 128Gb today and as per instructions I backed up my iPhone 7 to my MBP as an encrypted backup to preserve as many of my settings and data as possible. Unpaired my Apple Watch and turned my iPhone 7 off. I removed my SIM and installed it in the new SE then turned it on. From that point on I followed the instructions from Apple here; Use iTunes or Finder to transfer data from your previous iOS device to your new iPhone, iPad or iPod touch – Apple Support To restore all my backed up data using the Finder Option as listed.

When the iPhone connected I was asked on my MBP to Trust this device, which I did. I chose to restore from backup on my MBP, the backup I had just done, ticked the box to say I had read the conditions pressed continue. At that point my iPhone disconnected. I tried it 3 more times reading and repeating the instructions, same issue each time.

In the end I opted to select Restore from iCloud Backup which was performed at 0330 today. This worked perfectly albeit a bit slower. I am puzzled as to why the restore from the MBP did not work but it highlights an important point. It's a good idea to backup to iCloud, I do an encrypted backup to iCloud at night when the watch is charging and have done for a while but only as insurance, in case my local backup failed.:rofl

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi Rod

I feel your pain. I had exactly the same experience when I purchased the iPhone 11 Pro. It kept disconnecting from iTunes, as yours did. It did partial restorations. It went into DFU Mode and so on.

I phoned Apple, and to their credit, they took me through a complicated process of getting it back to factory settings, reproduced my problem (so it wasn't just me!), back to Factory Settings. Finally downloaded from iCloud. Took no time at all as I don't have many photos on the iPhone.

Phone worked fine since.

So, I wholeheartedly agree, an encrypted iCloud BU is essential in addition to iTunes and, in my case, iMazing as well.

Ian

OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Oh, was iMazing useful? I did think of using it but because I had not done a recent backup on it I thought I would use the “prescribed” method. It took a while to download my apps I suppose I could have used it for that. My biggest problem was Face Book an FB Messenger. Apparently I had been using my Indonesian number for them and could not receive an SMS verification code for 2SV. Answer: open on a browser and turn it off, log into the apps then turn back on.

Sent from my iPhone using Mac-Forums

OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Gee Bob, I’ve only had 3 iPhones in my life, an iPhone 5s, the 7 I still have and this new SE2 so I don’t get that many chances but I did look at that option. If I live long enough I’ll try it next time;) Does it transfer apps as well?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
@Rod, it transfers which apps you have, but it appeared to me that the apps were then downloaded from Apple and installed. Settings were transferred, which was good.

Last edited:
OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I get it, the data probably transfers and the presence of the app is recognised then the actual application is downloaded fro the App Store. This is what happened with mine using the iCloud method too.

OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well nearly one month on I have to say I am very happy with my decision to purchase this iPhone SE 2. I theory the battery should not last twice as long as the old iPhone 7 because it had a new battery installed but it does. I was never able to get Personal Hotspot sharing to work properly with the 7 but with this phone it just works. I have a case on the phone but no screen protector (yet) but the screen stays cleaner than the glass screen protector I had on the 7, again no real reason for this, Optimised Battery Charging works, I woke at 5:30 last week and checked, it had been charging all night but was still at 81%. I can now charge this phone wirelessly on my new Qi charging dock along with my Apple Watch. In short this iPhone SE 2 just seems to work better, the differences are subtle but there are quite a lot of them. It all adds up to a smoother, slightly faster device and well worth the upgrade.

Last edited:

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Thanks for the detailed FU, Rod.

Very useful to those contemplating such a purchase.

Ian

OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Ian, you must have been reading it even as I added to it. Thanks.
Like I said, lots of subtle improvements in performance and I wonder if it's at least partly new hardware running the software it was made for ie comparability.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.