• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Well done BBC.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15 inch 1.83. iBook G4.
I think there was a link on here a while ago to petition against the BBC not using technologies compatible with Macs.

Anyway, looks like someone has listened and I can't wait...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6568163.stm

Looks like hours of fun reliving all my favourite programmes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Intel Core Duo 2 (Standard)
Yea that is very good news, can't wait for that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Will I be able to download my favorite Ab Fab episodes?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Intel Core Duo 2 (Standard)
Just been reading through this and although it will be made available to Mac Owner's, it appears as if the Windows PC will see the first taste of it.

The BBC said it planned to offer the service first on computers running the Windows operating system and then on cable TV and other platforms such as Apple Macs, media centre PCs and smart handheld devices, such as mobiles or PDAs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
I'm glad of that. I would happily have cancelled my TV license over that issue, as I only ever turn the thing on for Doctor Who. Having to wait is a bit annoying, but as long as they provide the service, I don't mind. Let the Windows users find the bugs first.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini w/ 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB 667Mhz DDR2 SDRAM
I'm glad of that. I would happily have cancelled my TV license over that issue, as I only ever turn the thing on for Doctor Who. Having to wait is a bit annoying, but as long as they provide the service, I don't mind. Let the Windows users find the bugs first.

Well SOME of us know what's good on Television, don't we Knight? ;)

Reaction score
Been reading about this on another site. The material to be offered by the BBC likely wouldn't be available to anyone who doesn't reside in the U.K. because they must buy the yearly TV licence. A lot of stuff on the BBC site isn't available elsewhere. But maybe the BBC has learned from iTunes and will sell it.

Reaction score
I would happily have cancelled my TV license over that issue, as I only ever turn the thing on for Doctor Who.

I keep forgetting that in Britain one has to have a license to watch TV. That is wrong IMHO :radioacti .

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac
They didn't need to insult Apple IMO

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I keep forgetting that in Britain one has to have a license to watch TV. That is wrong IMHO :radioacti .

No advertisements and *MUCH* higher quality than commercial channels. The day the license fee is scrapped will be the day I stop watching TV altogether.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2GB, Mac Pro 2.66Ghz 3GB X1900.
I don't understand the BBC, they made their own open source codec called Dirac for this reason a while ago. So why are they now using something else?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/opensource/projects/dirac/

They announced the archive would be made available about 4 or 5 years ago, what has taken so long?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2 x 2.26 Quad, 6GB DDR3, iPhone 4
No advertisements and *MUCH* higher quality than commercial channels. The day the license fee is scrapped will be the day I stop watching TV altogether.

Here here to all of that!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
saw that this morning

about time. lets hope others follow.

Reaction score
In Switzerland, there was a fresh bar set on how many commercials could be aired during an hour. Thanks to this limitiation, no private channels in Switzerland can survive, leaving us with 6 national broadcasters. All other programming comes from German, Austrian, French and Italian broadcasters as well as all the other satelite stuff.

IMO this is good. Our national channel has so much money from the license fees and their quality is top-notch. Heck, the other night I though we'd landed in the future when a hsot on a lifestyle & opinion show had a Minority Report style whiteboard where opinions from viewers appeared as dots, just like in Digg.com's SWARM tool.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5" Core i5 Quad - Mac Mini c2d - iPad Pro - iPhone 11 - ATV3

I third that.

I think it is great that the BBC are making programmes available in this way. And I think it is "just' that WE, the license payer get the chance to have it. We have paid for the archives of the BBC over the last 50 odd years and by doing so have dictated the quality of the programmes made - Ok, there have been some non starters in the past, but overall the quality of the BBC and it's innovatory approach to television has stood the test of time, and made it a world leader.
Not that I think it should be a UK resident service only, but it will be nice to be the first in the queue for a change.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have always had a lot of respect for the BBC - much of their content doesn't appeal to me, but the quality of it can't be faulted. Watching Sky TV for any length of time makes me want to slap puppies.

It's ironic when people complain about "their license fee being wasted" (as £12 per month of it) on things they don't like, while paying three times the amount of the TV license for advertisements on Sky.

Back on topic, I think they've been to-ing and fro-ing for some time about how to go about this, which is why it's taken so long with so many false starts.

Reaction score
It's ironic when people complain about "their license fee being wasted" (as £12 per month of it) on things they don't like, while paying three times the amount of the TV license for advertisements on Sky.
How much does a licence cost? £12 a month is a portion?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5" Core i5 Quad - Mac Mini c2d - iPad Pro - iPhone 11 - ATV3
The license fee is £135.50 per year or Free when you reach 75 years of age.
Sky Tv starts at £15.00 per month for the very basic package and rises to over £40.00 per month for the full package.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The license fee is £135.50 per year or Free when you reach 75 years of age.
Sky Tv starts at £15.00 per month for the very basic package and rises to over £40.00 per month for the full package.

True, but how many people buy the lowest Sky package? Most get Sky for sports, so I'd suspect the average cost is well above the license fee, which costs me about £12-13 per month by direct debit.

Hey, I'll be able to spend that on beer and sweets when I reach 75. Neat.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.