Welcome to the New Mac-Forums

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hello everyone. No doubt you have seen Mac-Forums has a new look & feel. In some respects it should look & feel familiar...but in other ways there are differences.

* You'll find posting new threads & replying to threads should for the most part be intuitive & familiar.
* Private Messages (called "Conversations" by the new forum software)...should be significantly more rich than the previous PM system.
* Uploading & inserting images into threads/posts should be much easier & more straightforward.
* In the upper right of most pages you'll see a "Post Thread"button. This button is especially useful on the Forum Home Page...since sometimes (especially for new members)...figuring out how to post a thread can be confusing (at first). If the "Post Thread" button is clicked on the forum home page...a window containing a mini version of all topic areas on the home page opens up. Then a person selects the topic area they wish to post in.

View attachment 31737

* We are especially pleased to offer multiple forum themes/styles. In the bottom left corner of any forum page can be found a "Style Chooser". Click on it...and you'll find that currently there are 3 styles/themes to choose from:

- A "Traditional" Mac-Forums style (close to the look of the previous Mac-Forums).
- A "Traditional 2.0" Mac-Forums style (a slightly tweaked version of the Traditional style).
- A Mac-Forums "Dark Style". A much different Mac-Forums Dark look.

View attachment 31738

Have fun exploring things.:)

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
We are also creating a "Bug Report" thread in the "Community Suggestions and Feedback" area.

If you run into any "Bugs"...please report them in the "Bug Report" thread. Things such as graphical issues/anomalies...unexpected code showing up...features not doing what they're supposed to do.

Thanks

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
OH WOW! Fantastic you guys. The Fonts are bigger, everything is bigger which is great for us old fella's and Dark Mode, wow, I didn't expect that. No bugs so far but a huge congratulations on the upgrade.
The Post Tread button is a great idea, it has been apparent that it presented difficulties for new users for some time. The other one, attaching images to posts I haven't tried yet but anything to make it easier has to be a good thing.(y)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 iMac 24" M1 512/16/8/8 Sonoma. 2013 iMac 20.5" 3.1 i7 16GB Catalina. iPhone 13
Just been in and had a look around. Very nice indeed and much more user friendly - well done!!

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
May I make a suggestion?

I think a Thread might be created to allow members, new & experienced, either to ask "how do I do such-and-such now" or to point out some trick or alteration in the software they have discovered which might help others.

As an example of each possibility:

I'm not sure what the difference is between "Insert Image" and "Attach Files"

What I have found out is that in place of the previous "Thread Options" which allowed one to subscribe to a thread without having to post to it; you can click on what looks like 3 dumbbells and if you do that at the top of the thread, you are offered "Watch" - which when clicked, shows the word "Watch" in box. I assume this is the same as the previous "Subscribe".

Ian

Reaction score
Awesome! Thank you!

Where do I click to get into the secret forum that only insiders know about?

Last edited:

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I think you've nailed it guys. Now I see why everything is a bit bigger in macOS browsers. I just opened an email notification link in iOS Safari and I can read the whole page without enlarging it. This is going to kill the M-Forums app but this is so much more useable. Looks great even on my little SE.

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think a Thread might be created to allow members, new & experienced, either to ask "how do I do such-and-such now" or to point out some trick or alteration in the software they have discovered which might help others.

Will do Ian...thanks for the suggestion.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
I also want to say thanks to everyone involved again. I am experiencing an issue I have been having a conversation with Charlie about. When I go into my Account details page, I have a banner that states "Your full account details are not editable." I was attempting to edit my Mac specs and my signature, but were unable tp find those controls. Also, in the conversation, the add image icon would not allow images from my computer to be uploaded. he only option was URL. So here is the image I was trying to attach.

View attachment 31743

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When I go into my Account details page, I have a banner that states "Your full account details are not editable." I was attempting to edit my Mac specs and my signature, but were unable tp find those controls.

Please give this another try.

Thanks,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Please give this another try.

Thanks,

- Nick
I have access to more options, but I still don't see my signature. Is it under a different heading?

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have access to more options, but I still don't see my signature. Is it under a different heading?

Click on your logged in username in the Navbar:

View attachment 31750

This should bring up a window that contains lots of member Profile/Account settings. Within that window there should be a "Signature" link. Click on the signature link...and you should be able to make signature related modifications.

- Nick

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
That's odd. I looked at the screenshot you provided and compared it to the same page for my account. On my page, there is an option to edit the signature. It's on the left side of the page just below "preferences"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Click on your logged in username in the Navbar:

View attachment 31750

This should bring up a window that contains lots of member Profile/Account settings. Within that window there should be a "Signature" link. Click on the signature link...and you should be able to make signature related modifications.

- Nick
Thanks, I see it now. I don't remember it being there yesterday.

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, I see it now. I don't remember it being there yesterday.

Good deal. There's a good number of options there...and since the interface is new...very possible to miss it.

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What I have found out is that in place of the previous "Thread Options" which allowed one to subscribe to a thread without having to post to it; you can click on what looks like 3 dumbbells and if you do that at the top of the thread, you are offered "Watch" - which when clicked, shows the word "Watch" in box. I assume this is the same as the previous "Subscribe".

It's not exactly the same Ian. You still have to select whether or not to receive email notification. You can also choose to "unwatch" a particular thread. But generally, any thread you post to is placed on your "watch" list.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Thanks for that, Charlie. Much appreciated.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Nice, very nice.
I’m having a stroll around to discover all the goodies.

Cheers ... McBie

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hey McBie:

Glad you like it. Don't forget to set preferences from your profile and be sure to try out the Dark Mode.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
All in all very nicely done, guys. There's one thing I want to point out, it's actually been a long time one but worth mentioning now. The site logo in the top left corner. The design itself is great, but it's very fuzzy. On the Facebook page, you can see how nice and crisp it is at its full size, but the scaled down version that is prevalent on the site here is just very fuzzy and sticks out even more so on Retina displays and against the rest of the site where the text is nice and crisp. I think it's something that merits a second look, maybe simply re-done at the size needed for the corner logo rather than merely downscaling the larger version. Perhaps simply re-doing it entirely using vector graphics, which can be rendered in any size without loss of detail, would be worth considering.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.