weird wifi

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2013 imac 21,5 inch 16 gb ram, samsung 840 pro ssd.
hey guys and girls, im having a weird issue with my old macbook pro, it run pretty good for a old 2006, its got a fresh install of OS X, my prob is if i try to turn on or off my wi_fi the laptop freezes' any idea,s?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hello & welcome to the forum! :)

Just for starters, be more specific about your 'old' MBPro (model of the 2006/time of year released); which OS X did you install (be exact w/ the numbers, i.e. 10.x.x) - how much RAM is available and what is the HD capacity and 'free' space available. Answers to these questions will greatly help others in responding to your issue(s). Dave

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
its a late 2006 mbpro, 4 gb ram, was running mavericks and now yosemite, fully updated, 256gb kinston v300 ssd with about 200 gb still empty, its been doing it for awhile now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
its a late 2006 mbpro, 4 gb ram, was running mavericks and now yosemite, fully updated, 256gb kinston v300 ssd with about 200 gb still empty, its been doing it for awhile now.

Thanks for the additional information - others have reported Wi-Fi issues after a Mavericks to Yosemite upgrade (did that on my MBPro w/o any problems, so problematic for some, I guess) - take a look at this OsXDaily Article for a potential solution - please post back if successful or not - your 'cure' may help others - good luck! Dave :)

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i tried it last night with no luck, im not having connectivity issues the laptop is crashing when i try to turn the wifi on or off, I've tried a clean install of maverick's and a clean install of yosemite nether had any impact on it, im thinking more hardware now

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i tried it last night with no luck, im not having connectivity issues the laptop is crashing when i try to turn the wifi on or off, I've tried a clean install of maverick's and a clean install of yosemite nether had any impact on it, im thinking more hardware now

Well, an 8 year old computer may certainly be the issue and if the hardware is faulty then an evaluation by an authorized Apple repair shop may be in order - not sure that an official Apple store would even offer an assessment?

In the meantime, there are a few other areas you can explore: 1) About This Mac -> System Report - if the Wi-Fi option is click in the left column, stats on your adapter and networks will be shown on the right (see below); and 2) Hold the Option key down & click on the Wi-Fi icon in the upper menu bar which will present a LOT more information about your network, and there is a choice to 'Open Network Diagnostics...' (white arrow) - not sure these suggestions will help but no harm will be done. Dave :) P.S. my network's name is blocked out.

Screen Shot 2014-11-29 at 10.45.55 AM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-11-29 at 10.58.50 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-11-29 at 10.58.50 AM.png
    195.6 KB · Views: 9

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.