Weird things happening

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" Retina 10.10.1
I click on a link in an email and my browser often takes me to an ad for How to Repair my Mac and asks if I want to download a Mac OS X repair tool. McAfee has their logo on the page. I downloaded an app called Adware Medic because of all the other ads. That didn't help. I guess I've been hijacked by some sort of malware. What do I do now? TIA

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
The first thing to do is practice "safe-computing"...which means don't click on links in emails that you are not familiar with.:)

As far as a solution try clearing the browser cache (assuming you are using Safari):

- Safari drop down menu
- Preferences
- Advanced tab
- click the box at the bottom of the window marked "Show Develop menu in menu bar"
- go to the menu bar & click on "Develop"
- select "Empty Caches"

Hope this helps,:)

- Nick

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
CyberGranny has already done that (see the initial post):Cool:

@CyberGranny How are Nick and I going to be seen as knights in shining armor if damsels in distress keep rescuing themselves?:Confused:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
...How are Nick and I going to be seen as knights in shining armor if damsels in distress keep rescuing themselves?

I think that my armor is getting a little rusty. I think that I need to shine it up a bit!;)

- Nick

M

MacInWin

CyberGranny, you can also look at AdBlock+ and Ghostery to block unwanted ads and trackers.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" Retina 10.10.1
Thanks

Adware Medic didn't solve all of the problems so I will try the other recommendations. As for preventative recommendations, I've been using Macs since 1984, probably before some of you were even born. I know how to be safe but might be getting a little careless in my old age.

M

MacInWin

Adware Medic didn't solve all of the problems so I will try the other recommendations. As for preventative recommendations, I've been using Macs since 1984, probably before some of you were even born. I know how to be safe but might be getting a little careless in my old age.
A throw down! Wrong thing, CyberGranny! I built my first computer in the 1970's from components. The first "store bought" was a TRS-80 Model I in 1979, which I then modded to add upper and lower case letters, a board to let it boot CP/M and an expansion interface to crank the memory from 16K to 64K (48K in CP/M). I'm relatively new to Macs, just 8 years, but I've been around the block a couple of times. I've run DOS, PC-DOS, CP/M, Fedora, RedHat, SUSE, Ubuntu, and a couple of other variants of Unix/Linux, now OS X. I was in networking with BitNet (before the Internet), ran a bulletin board (8 telephone lines in--the police thought I was a bookie, seriously!). Programmed in Assembler, Fortran, COBOL, Basic, Pascal and Ada. And I'm not the oldest here, I'm only 69.

M

MacInWin

On the continuing problem, have you looked to see if any unwanted or unknown add-ins have been jacked into your browser? If it's Safari, then Preferences, Extensions, look for anything you don't recognize.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.