weird icons in Applications after install

Reaction score
Hello. i'm having a problem with some icons in my Applications folder. after i installed a couple of applications, their icons look like this
picture1zy4.png

even after clicking on them and using the applications a few times, the icons stay like this.

why does this happen? what does this icon mean? and how do i fix it?

thx a lot :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM MacBook, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Hmm, I seem to have the same problem sometimes with a few applications. I tried deleting and re-installing, but it won't let me uninstall any applications with those icons. Does it mean it's locked or something?

Reaction score
I have the same thing happen on my Macbook ... usually after i reboot the correct icon is displayed

OP
G
Reaction score
yeah, it seems that after a restart the problem is fixed. couldnt test as i couldnt restart my computer till now, just did though and all is fine again.

anyways, kinda annoying but i think i can live with it :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
The icons automatically look like that for applications you download from the Internet until you open them for the first time and click the "Yes, I know what this is" button. However, their icons in the Dock's preview of the Applications folder won't update until the Dock (and maybe the Finder too? I forget) has been restarted. You can restart the Dock by opening Terminal and entering the following:

killall Dock

I hope this helps.

OP
G
Reaction score
The icons automatically look like that for applications you download from the Internet until you open them for the first time and click the "Yes, I know what this is" button. However, their icons in the Dock's preview of the Applications folder won't update until the Dock (and maybe the Finder too? I forget) has been restarted. You can restart the Dock by opening Terminal and entering the following:

I hope this helps.

hmm sounds reasonable, i'll give it a try next time it happens :) thx!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.