Weird behavior in Windows 7 64-bit after upgrading Mac 1,1 CPU

Reaction score
I recently upgraded my aging 1,1 Mac Pro with a pair of 5355 quad core CPUs. The install went fine, no real issues outside of a little frustration. The problem I have is in Windows 7 64-bit under Bootcamp. Everything works fine- until I put the computer to sleep. At wakeup, the system is sluggish to the point of uselessness. The screen redraws at an agonizingly slow pace. The task manager, if I can even get it to launch, indicates something is running 100% (I can't tell what as the window doesn't update). The mouse is jerky, and opening a program, even a tiny one, takes 30 seconds or more. The only solution is to hard reboot (can't launch restart as the cursor hops and the icon disappears). Everything works fine though after a reboot...until you put it to sleep. Then the same problem. It doesn't matter if sleep is overnight or 5 seconds. Sometimes, an odd set of sounds play after awakening from sleep...hard to describe but like a tapping sound. I have checked all drivers, system is up to date, ensured hibernation and power saving options are off. Can't figure it out.

I don't have this problem in Lion on the Mac partition. Computer sleeps, wakes up fine. This makes me think there isn't a hardware issue and the problem is Windows. Anyone seen this? I see some general frustration in Windows forums but no real solutions. Thanks.

C

chas_m

Is there some particular reason you can't exit Windows before putting the machine to sleep, or turn off sleep when you are using Windows and just run "display sleep" instead? This sounds like a bug in Windows, though it could of course be a problem with your modified computer.

OP
M
Reaction score
It's a definite annoyance. When I leave the computer for the day I'd rather put it to sleep than shutting it down. Leaving it on seems wasteful energy-wise.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It's a definite annoyance. When I leave the computer for the day I'd rather put it to sleep than shutting it down. Leaving it on seems wasteful energy-wise.

No one is suggesting that you need to turn off the machine. Why can't you re-boot to OS X prior to putting the machine to sleep? Like chas_m, I suspect your modifications are what is causing Windows to do what it is doing and the fact that your Mac Pro 1,1 does not have a 64 bit EFI.

OP
M
Reaction score
I could do that, but it is annoying as I run Windows most of the time (next computer will probably be a PC gaming rig). I am not an expert in Windows by any means, but should point out the system worked flawlessly with Windows 7 64-bit prior to the processor swap (with the stock 5150 processors). Everything I read ahead of time said the 5355 processors were fully compatible, and most users who have done the swap have reported no problems. But most of those folks work purely on the Mac side. I did not see anyone posting about problems running Windows 7 via Bootcamp after a swap.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Again, keep in mind that your Mac Pro 1,1 has 32 bit firmware and you're running Windows 7 64 bit. But you're probably right about buying a PC gaming rig especially if you're spending most of the time in Windows.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks. Maybe it is that firmware, I really don't know. At this time I have no solution, I am going to systematically look at drivers. I have seen numerous complaints about Windows problems with sleep, but no real solutions.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.