Web Design Question

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I am a freshman and finishing my second semester at the University of Kentucky.

I have an interest in Web Design as a career but I am not sure what career path or major I should follow.

The university offers computer science, computer engineering, and graphic design as majors.

However, I am not sure if I need to know everything about computer science and engineering related to having a career in Web Design.

Would anyone with experience be able to clue me in on what major I should take and the best career path to follow?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Monterey 12.6.3
Your question is interesting to me who knows nothing about the degree courses you mention, such that I did a bit of research during which I came across this article:

From my reading of it, computer science would provide a better background for Web Design. Until someone much more knowledgeable than I, this article may be of interest??

Ian

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio, macOS Ventura, 32 GB
The site that Ian linked has a good breakdown of CS and CE majors..

I have a CS degree, so can speak with some authority here. CE only makes sense if you're interested in electrical designs and headed down the path of being closer to the hardware side of things.

CS on the other hand deals with languages, algorithms and higher level things. While there is a little bit of work done at the hardware level, it's no where as in depth as the CE path.

Graphic design is a good minor to do if you're interested in working on frontends. However, CS is the path to choose for the major to learn about the appropriate technologies, networking, databases, backend languages like Java, Python and frontend languages like JavaScript/HTML.

However, I would STRONGLY advice against pigeon holing yourself into one path. If you like building software (regardless of what it is), then CS is the degree. If you are interested in software & hardware interactions, CE is the degree. If you just want to make pretty graphics, Graphic design is the major (this is a very limiting path and I would advice against it)

OP
P
Reaction score
The site that Ian linked has a good breakdown of CS and CE majors..

I have a CS degree, so can speak with some authority here. CE only makes sense if you're interested in electrical designs and headed down the path of being closer to the hardware side of things.

CS on the other hand deals with languages, algorithms and higher level things. While there is a little bit of work done at the hardware level, it's no where as in depth as the CE path.

Graphic design is a good minor to do if you're interested in working on frontends. However, CS is the path to choose for the major to learn about the appropriate technologies like atlanta web design company, networking, databases, backend languages like Java, Python and frontend languages like JavaScript/HTML.

However, I would STRONGLY advice against pigeon holing yourself into one path. If you like building software (regardless of what it is), then CS is the degree. If you are interested in software & hardware interactions, CE is the degree. If you just want to make pretty graphics, Graphic design is the major (this is a very limiting path and I would advice against it)
thank you so much for your suggestion

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.