Weak signal ?

Reaction score
Hi,

In last couple of days whenever I go with my MacBook Pro , version 10.6.8 , to the next room I am disconnected from wireless connection.

I have Dynalink RTA 1046vw modem and using it for years with no issue at all. Before I was connected even if I was in other room with closed door. Everything worked well.

I didn't do any changes to modem or laptop settings and didn't download any software lately.

Is there a way how to check if my modem is working properly and "giving" strong enough signal?

If I am within 2-3 metres everything works fine.

I found this useful link :

How to Find the Best Wi-Fi Channel with Wireless Diagnostics in Mac OS X | OSXDaily

...but when I press 'option' + 'wireless sign' i dont have "Open wireless diagnostics" tab there.

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I have Dynalink RTA 1046vw modem and using it for years with no issue at all.

Perhaps time for a new Modem - Router?

OP
K
Reaction score
Probably;D

BTW do you know how to open "wireless diagnostics" on 10.6.8 please?

I only have "open network preferences" on the bottom of the tab.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It's been ages since I used Snow Leopard but I seem to remember that wireless diagnostics can be run direct from your router - modem. Do you still have a manual for your Dynalink?

OP
K
Reaction score
No, unfortunately I don't have a manual but know how to access modem and go to settings. I will try to search there but I didn't see anything when I was changing wireless channel today.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.