WD5000BEVT issues on Macbook Pro Late2008

Reaction score
Problem:
Random lock-ups, where the computer will stall for 30-120 seconds at random, and again randomly fall back to running normally like nothing happened. Also the computer seems slower.

Where the problem lies:
The problem started since installing a WD5000BEVT(Western Digital Blue 500GB) in the Macbook Pro. So the problem is connected with this, and from what I read the problem can be something of the following:
-EFI Update 1.7
-Harddrive Head Parking
-Power Management Issues
-Snow Leopard

Setup:
-MacBook Pro 15" - Late 2008 (Coconut says age 13 months)
-4GB Kingston Value (Not an issue)

Solution:
-This is where I thought YOU could help :)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Took out your "Please don't" section. This isn't Burger King, you don't get it "your way". Just state what things you've already tried - and the more specific you can be, the better.

For example, you've suggested that you already played around with Spotlight indexing. What specifically did you exclude?

OP
P
Reaction score
Took out your "Please don't" section. This isn't Burger King, you don't get it "your way". Just state what things you've already tried - and the more specific you can be, the better.

For example, you've suggested that you already played around with Spotlight indexing. What specifically did you exclude?
Excluded bootcamp

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Have you looked at your console logs to see what processes were running and/or failing during the times that the lock-ups occur?

OP
P
Reaction score
Have you looked at your console logs to see what processes were running and/or failing during the times that the lock-ups occur?
Nope i actually never used the console, i'll try having it open and see if it gives me any hints.

Also, have you disabled the sudden motion sensor in the MacBook itself?

Apple Portables: Advanced tips for Sudden Motion Sensor
Tried this with no luck earlier. But really I am not sure if I did it properly. But it seems to have no effect?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.