WD Passport EHD

Reaction score
So when I connect it to my computer it shows up on my screen for a while and then automatically disconnects itself, and then after some time, reconnects, and then just repeats. I've even tried it with other cords on other computers and the behavior is the same. Does this mean that the drive is toast?
Is there any way to repair or fix it? I ran the Apple disk repair utility but no change.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
The icon appearing means that the OS was able to successfully read the drive and know what it is, if it disappears and re-appears without the cable causing issues, it's like that you have a failing drive. If the drive had fully failed, it would never appear at all.

Does the drive appear in Disk Utility as something you can see information about? If so, you might be able to recover the data using a data recovery software (search for that on the forum and your search engine). They vary in price and capabilities.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.