WD new External drive problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, 21.5",OSX, Mojave Late 2012. Processor 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5. Memory now has 16GB. + macbook
I'm not sure this is the right place but I've just bought a WD My passport 4TB external drive for my iMac with Mojave 10.14.3. I went to disc utilities and clicked on erase, picked MS-DOS (Fat32) and then I think I must have clicked on the 'GUID Partition Map.' Can I erase and then reformat it to OS extended (journaled) as it now says I've used 2.2 TB's and Have 1.8 left. I do want to partition the disc but I can't alter anything as it is.
Ps: I've blundered in and erased what I think is the partition, but now the disc utility is telling me that I have no space left.
Second edit: I can't believe it but I've done it. Got the thing working properly now; three partitions and at the moment, I've got the time machine doing a huge back up.

Last edited:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Congrats Hoody. Enjoy the new drive.:)

- Nick

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, 21.5",OSX, Mojave Late 2012. Processor 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5. Memory now has 16GB. + macbook
Thanks Nick. More questions soon.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Don't say you didn't ask for it. I've still got the old 1TB time machine drive that's full with TM backups. Is there a way I can transfer all this to the new drive without going all through loading it on the computer and then putting it on the drive? Or is it maybe not worth it as I've already done the TM backup on the new drive.
Also, and I've asked this before and forgotten what the answer is: I'd like to make a bootable disc in case of serious trouble. I did download the free trial version of CCC, didn't use it and now it's gone of course, so now I'd need something else that's easy to use.

krs

Reaction score
Also, and I've asked this before and forgotten what the answer is: I'd like to make a bootable disc in case of serious trouble. I did download the free trial version of CCC, didn't use it and now it's gone of course, so now I'd need something else that's easy to use.

I have been using Super Duper to make bootable back-ups
SuperDuper!

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Many thanks to both of you, I'll get on to it. :)

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
After taking a bit of time deciding, I finally got the free trial of CCC again and it's making a back up on the iMac right now. If it all works out OK I'll get the paid for version. I now have a spare 500GB external drive, so I'll use that to do the macbook. Plenty of room there for a 120GB drive to be cloned. I would have liked to get a SSD drive, but the prices are eye watering over here where we get used to being ripped off.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.