WD external harddrive issues!!

Reaction score
I have an external hard drive made by western digital, it used to load really quickly onto the screen but i have tried a few times now and the white light blinks and i can hear a 'loading' sound from the hard drive but it doesnt come up on the screen! iv tried my other hard drive and usb sticks and they work perfectly.

Any ideas what i can do to solve this issue as its doing my head in. i have data already on there so dont wish to reboot it (if that was even an option)

its 1Terabyte as far as im aware and im using an os x 10.4 operating system on an ibook g4 laptop

thanks for your time and look forward to hearing your help

cheers, Vinnie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Well it sounds like the drive is dead, or at the very least dying.
Really not much you acn do if it won't load up.
Does it show up in Disk Utility if you open it?

OP
V
Reaction score
didnt think of that, it appears in disk utility and when i tried verifying disk it comes up

'Verify and Repair disk “WD elements”
Invalid Volume Header
Checking HFS Plus volume.
Checking Extents Overflow file.
Invalid sibling link
Volume check failed.

Error: The underlying task reported failure on exit

1 HFS volume checked
1 volume could not be repaired because of an error'

what can i do to keep the data on there, or am i screwed!??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Hmm, basically it means it can't be read or written to, and while you could possibly try and reformat it, it would of course lose all data.
There is a fine article on the forum about data recovery programs, so have a search and try a few things, and hope that you can recover what you need, but ultimately it's time for a new drive.
BTW, there is also the "freezer" trick, which does work at times. Google to see what I mean.

OP
V
Reaction score
i think iv only had the drive for a year, and its basically already buggered!? ok mate, il have a look for the mentioned articles. I have basically loads of movies and dvds iv created on there that iv made which would be a proper pain in the bum if i lost but il try what you have suggested, cheers mate

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
WD drives are pretty reliable usually, but it really depends on the kind of use they get. Ultimately though, remember that all drives will fail eventually.
Good luck with the recovery.

OP
V
Reaction score
iv taken it to pc world to hopefully get the data back and then transfer it to a new x harddrive as it was under warranty, fingers crossed it will work. thanks for all the replies most appreciated

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.