Ways to get back deleted files?

Reaction score
Heys. :)

I was just wondering if its possible to get back deleted files on a mac? The files in question were deleted a few months ago so i doubt its possible but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
You can attempt to get them back immediately after you delete them, but after a few weeks, its probably been overwritten.

OP
S
Reaction score
Ah thats what i thought. Would you mind telling me how you can get them back immediately?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D
Look in the Trash would be a good start. There are PC programs but I'm not sure on a Mac

M

MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-Forums, Stebus.

Apps like FileSalvage.

But like Stretch says the longer you wait, the less chance of recovering the data.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks MacHeadCase, that was really helpful. I figure the files i want are lost but at least i know what to do for next time. :black:

M

MacHeadCase

No problem, Stebus.

And before buying the app, I'd read reviews on it first, maybe try out a demo if there is one on a file you just deleted but don't care about loosing in case the test is inconclusive.

I heard recovering deleted data is a crap shoot, at best.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D
Thanks MHC...I'll file that one away for if I ever need it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
Norton FileSaver/Unerase was great at this. You could undelete things from a long time ago. It somehow built some magical catalog of things you deleted, and could recover them in the future.

OP
S
Reaction score
No problem, Stebus.

And before buying the app, I'd read reviews on it first, maybe try out a demo if there is one on a file you just deleted but don't care about loosing in case the test is inconclusive.

Yeah i was reading elsewhere and people were saying that FileSalvage is one of the best, even if there is little chance you'll get the file back exactly the way it was. I wasn't planning on buying it now, as i am far more cautious about what i delete, however its handy to know that there is a slim chance i can get something back if needed.

I also couldn't find any info about Norton Unerase for mac so not too sure about it. Thanks for the info anyways.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Exactly. I have said it before, too many people watch CSI and other shows of that ilk and then get the idea that any and all deleted data can be recovered in an instant.
The truth is, once data is deleted it is very rarely recovered in its entirety.
Law enforcement organizations can sometimes recover enough data to be useful to them, but it isn't like we see on TV shows.

The average user will simply lose his data once it is deleted.
The softwares that guarantee 100% full recovery are the ones that must be installed before you delete things. This is because all they do is keep a ghost file copy of your data in a 'hidden' folder on your hard drive. That way when you "delete" something and then use the software to "recover" it, the software merely uses the backup it created to replace what you thought you "deleted".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Learning how data is written and what happens to it upon writing, deleting, formatting, or covering up (as some programs do a data write function on a disk, effectively erase everything on it) is useful in understanding how, if, and why you can get data back once it's deleted and how come it's not always in it's entirity.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.