Watt-hour battery

Reaction score
I have a 2013 MacBook Air. I want to get a 2022 MacBook Air with the M2 chip & 512 GB SSD.

I had to look up watt-hour. A 1 watt-hour battery expends 1 watt in 1 hour.

The 2022 MacBook Air has a 55.6 watt-hour battery. Does that mean it expends 55.6 watts in 1 hour or 1 watt in 55.6 hours?

It comes with a 35-watt adapter.

I want to protect my $1,500 investment. I'll stick with Apple power adapters. I read online that if one buys a 1,500 MacBook Air, one gets a free Apple 67 watt power adapter. Is that still the case?

Apple makes a 96-watt power adapter & a 140-watt power adapter. I suppose that I can buy either of those. I suppose that the 140-watt adapter will charge faster than the 96-watt adapter. I assume that the laptop has circuitry that limits the current going into the battery.

How do I determine how fast the adapter will charge the battery? Do I divide the watt-hour of the battery by the wattage of the adapter? For example, 55.6-watt-hour battery/35-watt adapter equals 1.589 hours.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
All Apple portable computers (purchased from Apple or authorized dealers)...all come with the appropriate power supply for the specific portable computer.

Beyond this I would not be too concerned about watts & watt-hours...unless you're just curious. But even with in-depth info on this topic...you should still stick with appropriate power adapter/power supply that comes with the Apple portable computer.:)

Nick

p.s. All those different wattage power supplies Apple sells...each is appropriate for particular portable computer models. For example...the power supply required for a 16" MacBook Pro is different/different wattage than what's required for a 13" or 14" MacBook Pro.

OP
D
Reaction score
Some people probably think that they can charge faster the 2022 MacBook Air using both magsafe & usb-c to simultaneously charge the 2022 MacBook Air. I suppose that isn't possible, is it?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Some people probably think that they can charge faster the 2022 MacBook Air using both magsafe & usb-c to simultaneously charge the 2022 MacBook Air. I suppose that isn't possible, is it?
No, it's either or.

OP
D
Reaction score
So, my assumption is correct.

But what happens if someone who is not tech savvy reasons that one charger is fast so two chargers must be even faster. Does the 2022 MacBook Air have built-in protection to save the battery? Does it popup a warning or disconnect either the magsafe or the USB-C port?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I imagine the system is smart enough to ensure that it only charges from a single source. And virtually no-one plugs in multiple chargers into a MBP.

If your MBP has a magsafe charger, you got a block with your MBP and you'll use that. If you only have USB-C, you go a block for that and you'll use that.

I also would NOT recommend someone try to see what happens..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Does it popup a warning or disconnect either the magsafe or the USB-C port?

All Apple, and probably all brand name computers and devices using lithium batteries all contain a separate circuit to protect the battery from being overcharged and several other protections, so even if an idiot plugs in his welder to charge the battery the protection circuit will protect nasty things from happening to the battery, but the circuit may be self-sacrificing and blow up in the process if real complete idiots are involved trying to do things they shouldn't be doing.

You can see the process in action all around you when you observe some drivers doing stupid things while driving their car. There again, the auto manufacturers are busy making cars safer and safer in their attempts to save and protect the driver and passengers, and that includes idiot drivers who shouldn't even be in control of a car. But that's the reality of the life we live in...

- Patrick
=======

OP
D
Reaction score
I reckon that you have answered my questions. Thank you for your help. You may close this thread if you so desire.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.