Watching iTunes Movies

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, 21.5",OSX, Mojave Late 2012. Processor 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5. Memory now has 16GB. + macbook
Hi all.
I've got the Macbook Air and a Samsung smart tv, 55". My Son gave me an iTunes voucher for A$20.00 here in Australia. What I want to know is if I'll be able to download a rental movie and watch it via wi-fi on the tv. The tv does connect to the wireless router and I can get on the internet, so I'm hoping that it'll pick up the macbook too. Have I got this right ?

Reaction score
Looks like you have two options:

1) You could get a Mini DisplayPort to HDMI cable and connect the MBA to the tv.
2) You could purchase an Apple TV (that connects to the tv) and stream from the MBA.

I use option 2 and it works quite well. Between what my tv offers and what the Apple TV offers, I have many viewing options.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, 21.5",OSX, Mojave Late 2012. Processor 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5. Memory now has 16GB. + macbook
I've got the MDP to HDMI cable but last time I tried it, it gave me video but no sound. I might have to splash out on Apple TV.

Thanks again.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Which exact Mac and Samsung TV are being used/ There might be another way to get things done.

Don't get me wrong the Apple TV is a great gizmo but might not be needed.

Reaction score
I've got the MDP to HDMI cable but last time I tried it, it gave me video but no sound.

Check Preferences > Sound > Output when you have the MDP->HDMI cable connected. Depending on the tv, you may also have to play with Applications > Utilities > Audio MIDI Setup.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Slydude.

The TV is a Samsung 55" series 7 and the Macbook Air is 13" Intel core i5.
OSX 10.9.4. The Wi-Fi does work ok, I'm just not sure how to set it all up.

ron4mac.

I've now had a look at the sound output and gather that if I plug the MDP to HDMI cable in, it will show up on the sound output tab.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.