Warranty fine print...this is bad!

F

frosty

quote form apple warranty:If a defect exists, at its option Apple will (1) repair the product at no charge, using new or refurbished replacement parts, (2) exchange the product with a product that is new or which has been manufactured from new or serviceable used parts and is at least functionally equivalent to the original product,

So they can send you a defective product and have no responsibility to provide you with a new piece of equipment which you paid good money for.
This is an outrageous policy.
My new computer has a serious defect as noted in another thread now I'm subject to refurbished or used serviceable parts. This is an unbelivable travesty of customer service. If anyone reads this fine print and realized how they act when you have to send a computer back with a defect nobody would buy one of their computers.
I can see its a nice product if it worked right but only god can help you if you have problem with it.
perhaps you will think its a blessing in disguise allowing the opportunity to learn how to pray.
because prayer would be your only hope in dealing with apple customer service. Prayer and maybe the attorney general!
I am so pissed off at apple for their attrocious customer service policy that words cannot express!
All I can say is why? There is no reason to treat people like this. And I was thinking of buying apple stock, yea right. If they dont change this retarded policy their stock will remain a volitile issue.

All I want is a new computer free of defects they flat out refuse to honor their end of the deal.

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
My hard drive failed. Apple then gave me another failed hard drive. Now they gave me a failing hard drive.
Oh Joy! Apple Rules!

OP
T

TylerMoney

Absolute Zero said:
My hard drive failed. Apple then gave me another failed hard drive. Now they gave me a failing hard drive.
Oh Joy! Apple Rules!

You sure you're not doing something strange with your hard drives? I mean, I have never heard of anyone having that many hard drive problems in my life. I havne't even had one in my lifetime of computers. And to have two defective ones, and then a third that seems to be going bad....something isn't right here. Maybe I'm crazy...maybe not. or maybe apple just hates you for some reason, and feel they should keep sending you crappy hard drives on purpose?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
I don't do anything strange with my hard drive... unless storing data on a hard drive is strange.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Well the only person on Earth that I know that has repeat hard drive failures is a major hard core gamer on pc/doz. I know none with this trouble with Macs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, now you do. Sit down, have some Oreo's and Milk, while I'm eating HOT Cheetoes and hot sauce.

OP
T

TylerMoney

Hot Cheeetoes and Hot Sauce? I don't get it. I'll take some hot sauce though, for sure. And I'll pass on the bad drives, if you know what I mean.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
TylerMoney said:
Hot Cheeetoes and Hot Sauce? I don't get it. I'll take some hot sauce though, for sure. And I'll pass on the bad drives, if you know what I mean.
GAH. IT BURNS. :mad:

I think the cheetoes are expired too.

OP
P

PowerbookG417

i use to work for HP and we had the exact same policy..its common practise with many companys...

OP
L

lzasitko

frosty....

Frosty go check any warranty from any computer maker and you will see similar wording in all of them. I bought a Toshiba and had a lot of problems with it and they got parts from where ever they could find them. The fan was bad and got replaced with a Panasonic one, same went for the hard drive.

OP
S

starrin

Well -- I strongly agree that Apple Support is not what it should be. Since purchasing my Powerbook it has never worked reliably -- intermittent freezing and then the flashin icon on boot-up.

My experiences on the many phone calls I have had as well as trips to the store are extremely varied. It just depends on who you get, I never raise my voice as I know this does not get you anywhere.

But currently I also will be on my third hard drive when it returns -- since they cannot reproduce my issues they will additionally be replacing the logic board and wire harness that attaches the hard drive to the board.

I will admit that atleast they are seriously trying. But I know all too well your frustration with their service. At times I would get people who acted as if it was like a big joke that I was having these problems -- heck most people would not even believe me if I said what Apple Service was doing. I started putting them on speaker phone for my wife to listen and she was astounded at some individuals lack of professionalism.

The warranty is very similar to other brands -- but all brands play to the lowest common denominator based on a product maybe being released too soon - essentially it is legal CYA.

I would argue though that IBM and Dell would have probably sent me a new unit before paying a tech to replace all the guts of my unit -- from a business standpoint - does this not make sense?

Not to mention that Dell would show up to my house -- one of the software reps I work with had his Dell go out -- and a Dell tech showed up at his house and had him all fixed up.

I will add to my long trilogy post once I get my unit back -- but it does take a toll on you from an emotional point as well as not being able to trust the unit again - do not want to lose anything.

Also -- I play no games, I use Microsoft Office, and cruise the internet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
starrin said:
But currently I also will be on my third hard drive when it returns -- since they cannot reproduce my issues they will additionally be replacing the logic board and wire harness that attaches the hard drive to the board.

This does sound like the solution since you never had problems with the Hard Drive making noises or anything it was just a bad connection

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.