WARNING future iphone buyers!!!!!

TWM

Reaction score
This is a warning to anyone who is planning on getting an iphone any time soon. On 2 different occasions, in 2 different AT&T stores, I heard employees telling people who were buying iphones that if they got the Apple Care it would cover Water damage, and a cracked screen!!! Also they told the people that if they ever damaged their iphone that apple care would sell them a NEW iphone at the new contract price. Water damage??? My god! Just be advised people and don't ever listen to cell phone sales people.

These stores were located in southern California.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
| '09 24" iMac 3.06 8GB | '09 iPhone 3GS 32GB | '09 ATV 1.16TB | '07 23" ACD | '06 15" MBP |
WARNING!!! Shady salespeople are Shady!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
WARNING!!! Shady salespeople are Shady!

Your dead on.... Some people will do anything for a sale that or they flat out ignorant which is probably even worst.

OP
T

TWM

Reaction score
I agree. Just thought it was a good idea to through out the warning. The prospective buyers in the store were eating it up!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
emac, G4 laptop, G5, imac 2.4Ghz intel duo,
Hmmm,

my nephew dropped his iphone in the pool, it wouldnt go, he took it to apple shop and they took the back of it and apparently there is a some sort of test strip IN THE PHONE that had changed color indicating water had entered the phone (oh forgot to mention he first dried the phone out and he forgot to mention the bit about the pool) but they told him it had been submerged. Crafty devils those chaps at apple. anyone else know about this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.33 GHz 3 GB RAM
Hmmm,

my nephew dropped his iphone in the pool, it wouldnt go, he took it to apple shop and they took the back of it and apparently there is a some sort of test strip IN THE PHONE that had changed color indicating water had entered the phone (oh forgot to mention he first dried the phone out and he forgot to mention the bit about the pool) but they told him it had been submerged. Crafty devils those chaps at apple. anyone else know about this?

This is actually very common practice in the consumer electronics, or at least in the mobile phone, industry. My previous phone (a Motorola Razor) had a strip like this inside as well, just like the iPhone does.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
AFAIK this practice has been around for some time. I believe some, and perhaps all, of the early Mac models had plastic clips on the case screws to indicate when the user (or an unauthorized tech) had opened the case. This of course voided the warranty

Interestingly enough no such screw covers were put in the Apple II line. They were designed with the assumption users would open them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
This is a warning to anyone who is planning on getting an iphone any time soon. On 2 different occasions, in 2 different AT&T stores, I heard employees telling people who were buying iphones that if they got the Apple Care it would cover Water damage, and a cracked screen!!! Also they told the people that if they ever damaged their iphone that apple care would sell them a NEW iphone at the new contract price. Water damage??? My god! Just be advised people and don't ever listen to cell phone sales people.

These stores were located in southern California.

Well in many cases Apple WILL sell you a replacement iPhone at the new contract price ($200) rather than full retail price if your phone is damaged. My uncle had his 3GS replaced for the reduced price when he cracked his screen and I was given the offer even though my phone was out of warranty.

Hmmm,

Yes, there are two water damage indicators (officially called the Liquid Contact Indicators) on the 3G and 3GS. One is in the headphone port at the top and the other is in the dock connector at the bottom. Here is a link to the Apple Support page with more information.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Hmmm,

That is not just an Apple practice. Many manufactures are using those same strips to tell if the user got water into the device. My friends Nokia phone has the same strips that turn from white to pink. She did not even remember the phone getting wet but AT&T showed her that water had entered the phone (Nokia) and would do nothing for her.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I would be willing to bet all the smart phones have this.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I would be willing to bet all the smart phones have this.

Yes they do and some not so Smart phones also. That Nokia of my friends is a basic phone and it has the strips.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
T

TWM

Reaction score
Well in many cases Apple WILL sell you a replacement iPhone at the new contract price ($200) rather than full retail price if your phone is damaged. My uncle had his 3GS replaced for the reduced price when he cracked his screen and I was given the offer even though my phone was out of warranty.

Yes, there are two water damage indicators (officially called the Liquid Contact Indicators) on the 3G and 3GS. One is in the headphone port at the top and the other is in the dock connector at the bottom. Here is a link to the Apple Support page with more information.

Ok, That may be the case, but that was not part of apple care. It states very clearly that apple care does not protect against accidental damage. It sounds like they were just helping you out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.