WARNING: 2011 MBP replacement program is garbage

Reaction score
Yes, I have a 2011 Late i7 MBP (MacBookPro8,2 (15")).. I waiting patiently while it sat dead for 1 year.. I see Apple release replacement program.. I go crazy with joy.. go into my apple store.. they run their test.. Awesome.. it failed the test.. sure we will replace it no issues. Awesome I think.. wait 5 days.. boom MBP is back.. I am elated with joy.

Fast forward 8 months.. I am just surfing the internet.. (at this point I dont game on my MBP since replacement just so the video card issue hopefully doesnt come up)

GREY screen of death... MBP restarts itself.. it has that apple no logo sign.. I guess meaning it cant find the system folder.. screen goes all black .. fans are on full speed.. and it just sits there..

I go back into Apple store because I know the replacement program is still valid.. they cant run the tests like before.. even trying to do external video post isnt working.. the apple care guy says.. not to worry they will just replace the logic board no questions asked since its still under apple replacement program.. I am once again happy.. 2 days later I get a call from the store.. sorry .. looks like its a power fail issue on the logic board, not a video issue. Apple will not replace the board.. so I said to them.. the part you guys replaced under the replacement program has failed.. and yet the program is still open.. and somehow this is my fault.. and of course throw out the bull****.. only covered for 90 days etc..etc..etc.. I said the program is still open and valid... and I was told by technician xxxx that the logic board will be placed.. he said sorry if you were lead to believe that.. and yup.. they wont replace it..

I am never again buying any Apple products, they are way over priced now and the service/quality of Apple has gone completely downhill in the last 4-5 years its insane..

shame too because I really like the OSX products.. do they realize for the price they want $900 here in Canada because of exchange etc..etc.. I can buy a 2013-Maybe 2014 MBP off ebay used..

Apple has completely lost touch with their customers because its very simple.. they sell so much product they dont give a **** anymore.. its a classic big company mistake.

Anyhow.. just a warning to everyone out there under the 2011 MBP replacement.. how is it in another message board here I saw a guy be giving a totally new MBP no questions asked.. yes his logic board failed 4 times in 6 months but still.. clearly these 2011 units have issues.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I understand your frustration. I have the exact same unit and took mine in for testing. It had flashed a weird video screen indicating a problem but they were not able to get it to fail their test. After reading on another forum about a number of people's issues with the replacement program I was kinda glad to get it back without the logic board having been replaced. It seems when they replaced the logic board they are using refurbished boards. While I get they can fix and repair a board and test it - it is not new and potentially subject to other parts failing that have nothing to do with the video issue.

It sounds like your refurbished logic board had a lurking power issue that unfortunately cropped up after the 90 day warranty therefore not covered as the recall only dealt with the video card. And I agree that stinks. Unfortunately, I have noticed people will have different experiences at different Apples stores and that can be a human issue. How the person in the store chooses to deal with the issue can play into how the problem is handled. Apple can not control human interaction with customers regardless of how much training they provided.

Also Apple has to make a decision as to how they will handle a recall. Realistically, this unit is five years old and most Windows laptops do not make it that long - either due to obsoletion or hardware failure. Yes, an Apple computer is much more costly - I get that. But they still offer the best customer service over any other computer manufacturer. I can say that having over 35 years experience working with many different computer vendors. No one even comes close - IMO.

I currently use my 2011 MBP for light computer work. I use to use it for video editing but now I only use it to capture live events. So far I had no issues but if it dies I will have had a good run with it.

You are correct in that you can find reasonably priced MBP's on eBay. I have purchased several units from sellers on eBay and had great success. But when I start looking for a computer I spend a lot of time searching for the right seller and the right computer as I know they are used which brings potential issues. I have seen a lot of posts from people who have bought from the Apple refurbished store and had great success. I have not tried that yet. I have to get over my fear of refurbished units first. ;)

Lisa

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
To add to what Lisa stated... there are warnings all over the internet about the GPU failure/logic board replacement program and whether or not it's worth it to keep a machine that is surely going to fail again. And yes, Apple uses refurbished logic boards as a replacement. The fact that Apple replaced your logic board the first time for free ought to show you that their customer service is top notch. I can't think of another computer manufacturer with the same kind of service. Lots of luck buying another manufacturer's computer. ;)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
... 2 days later I get a call from the store.. sorry .. looks like its a power fail issue on the logic board, not a video issue. Apple will not replace the board.. so I said to them.. the part you guys replaced under the replacement program has failed..

You're making a VERY big assumption here (that the current issue is video related). Apple said that the problem is NOT a video issue. It's a power issue. The video issue is covered…a power issue is not.

Just like automobiles…computers can have problems of all sorts. Your computer basically developed a 2nd DIFFERENT problem. Which is NOT a video issue.

Sorry to hear about the 2nd problem.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
Check Canada's consumer legislation. In the UK goods (ie, the replacement board) have has to be fit for purpose for a reasonable length of time - up to six years, depending on various factors. 90 days would be insufficient.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.