Want to go back to Mavericks...how far back is too far?

Reaction score
Recently learned here that some problems I'm having with my 2010 MBP are because it needs more than it has, performance-wise, for Yosemite to run well. I've read that I can back up all of my files externally, then restore from a Time Machine backup from before the Yosemite upgrade, then copy my files back once I "downgraded"... I upgraded to Yosemite on 11/4/14. Is that too far to go back? Is this a bad idea altogether? Opinions appreciated. Don't want to make my troubles worse:\
Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2014 i5 5k 32gb 1tb fusion, second TB display, 2014 MBA
Not a bad idea at all. I had the same problem on my last MBA with only 4gb. Put Yosemite on and that was too much. Beachballs and slow responses on opening and closing apps. Memory pressure was very high. I pointed to the last Mavericks Time Machine file and reloaded back to where I had been. It worked fine with the reload, but there is no reason for it not to.

Files that you downloaded while using Yosemite may not work, however. Apps can usually go forward to a new OS, but many times not backwards to an old one. They can be expecting something that was not on the old OS. You would need to take your machine back to that last day of Mavericks and then reload the files into it from the source, not from a backup.

Apple is still selling MBA's with 4gb and Yosemite so they expect them to work, obviously. However, in Apple's defense, I can say that sometimes I try to do work on my MBA that really should be done on my iMac.

Even with Mavericks you should be good for a couple more years before new apps start complaining about the too-old OS.

Of course, any new machine should have at least 8gb (or 16 if available.)

OP
C
Reaction score
yeah that's exactly a list of issues I'm having, in addition to apps crashing. I work in Photoshop a lot, and it's a pain in the butt!
I have 8gb, I guess it's just still not enough for the demand this combination is putting on it.
So I'll just copy all my doc folders & put them back when I'm done.

When I go back to that Mavericks state, my files are also going to be restored as they were at that time, and additions since then aren't going to be there, right?

I don't want to wipe out new/altered files since November haha

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.