Want SSD to show up as startup disk

Reaction score
I have a new Samsung 830 SDD in the master slot and moved the Hard disk to the Optical drive slot in my Mac Book Pro.
I cloned the data and was able to boot using SSD disk. I use Option to select the SSD during startup.
I wanted to have the SSD has the Permanent boot up disk.
But the Startup Disk is not showing up the SSD at all. It just shows only Macintosh HD OSX.
I was expecting the SSD also to show up. But its not.
Any help?

Thanks,
Deepak

Last edited by a moderator:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Did you try to edit the startup disk by selecting the SSD in System Preferences, "Startup Disk"?

Note: Your title was changed to something that could be identified with your question. Using "Mac" as a title is unacceptable.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks for the Reply. My whole point is, the SSD wont show up in the System Preferences, "Startup Disk"!!!!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK, your initial post was a bit confusing. Apparently you have no problem booting from the SSD if you hold down the Option key and select it to boot. But it does not show up as a startup disk in System Preferences, Startup Disk. I think the problem lies in the fact that you cloned your Macintosh HD to the SSD to make the SSD bootable instead of installing OS X clean to the SSD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Mac Book Pro 2.5GHz i5, iphone 5, ipad4
Disconnect your hdd and see what happens. If your system still boots, it is naturally booting from the ssd. If all that works, I would reformat you mechanical drive for storage only.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.