Want a BLACK keyboard for my Mac!

Reaction score
I like Mac keyboards but I hate that they are white only. They look filthy within days, and then when you clean them you have to be so careful not to get any moisture whatsoever on it or it will short.

However, any non-Mac keyboards do not have the exact same key placement. What's particularly important to me is the placement of the Command, Alt and Control keys. I use these intuitively, and have been for years. Other keyboards have a Function key down there, and it's all a bit different.

Are there ANY decent keyboards that have the same key placement as Mac keyboards in that respect? And it has to have black keys! ;-)

Thanks.

OP
J
Reaction score
I ended up getting the Matias Wireless Aluminum Keyboard, which has black keys.* It's amazing!* It is exactly like an Apple keyboard, but less expensive, AND the bonus is that one 5 hour charge lasts roughly a year!* No batteries to replace, or regular recharging.* And you can pair it to 4 devices, so you can use it to type on your iPhone, iPad, etc.* Love it. :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I ended up getting the Matias Wireless Aluminum Keyboard, which has black keys.* It's amazing!* It is exactly like an Apple keyboard, but less expensive, AND the bonus is that one 5 hour charge lasts roughly a year!* No batteries to replace, or regular recharging.* And you can pair it to 4 devices, so you can use it to type on your iPhone, iPad, etc.* Love it. :)

Heyyy...if it's that great...how about a link??:)

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
Actually, maybe it's more expensive than the Mac keyboard in the States? Mac keyboards are more expensive here! Also this is the larger numeric keyboard, which seems to not be available anymore, at least it's not in the UK.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I'm in the UK so I got mine here, but here's the link to Amazon US... They're made in Canada! Love it. Feels just like a Mac keyboard to type on to me.

Thanks for the link.:) Looks just like the Apple keyboard...but in different colors. Strange that some colors are significantly more (it's just color after all)...space gray color probably doesn't cost more than pink! Lol Maybe it's suppy & demand.

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
Well if I was in a girly mood I definitely would've wanted the pink, however the main objective for me was having black keys, as I'm so sick of my keyboard looking filthy after a week or two. THEN I try and clean it, and you can't clean it properly without moisture, and as careful as I would be a wee bit of moisture would get under those keys, and short one of them. So I have THREE Mac keyboards sitting in the cupboard that are all working fine with the exception of 1 or 2 keys, which pretty much renders them useless. And I don't look at the keyboard when I'm typing, so it's all intuitive for me. I can't be messing with the placement of those keys being different in any way, and I think Apple is phasing out the wireless numeric keyboards, which is awful because I use that part of the keyboard! And although it says 'space gray' these keys look pretty much black to me. Plus I personally think black keys look nicer than white ones anyway. I love the fact that you only have to charge it about once a year!!! How brilliant! And the pairing thing - just the tap of one function key and it immediately switches to whatever device you want to use it with. And I always struggle to type texts on the iPhone, make loads of mistakes cuz of the tiny keyboard (of course I still have to struggle with that when not at home). I should get a commission from them, as I'm selling them big time! I get very excited about these things... :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Strange that some colors are significantly more (it's just color after all). …

Yes, good old Matias keyboards, another great Canadian made product and the reason for the cost difference is no doubt due to the various chemicals used with the anodizing. It can be quite an involved process.

Take you pick here: http://matias.ca/products/

THEN I try and clean it, and you can't clean it properly without moisture,

Use 99% Isopropyl Alcohol (or even good commercial window cleaner) on a cloth or chamois, quite damp/wet but not enough to be flowing or running down the keys. ;)

- Patrick
======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.