Wake Mac remotely

Reaction score
I know that it is possible to wake a PC remotely by making a change in the BIOS. Can one wake a Mac remotely without using iCloud? I don't want to use iCloud because one can only upload Apple software related files like iWorks to iCloud. I don't use iWorks. I use Libre Office. I want a solution that is cross-platform. I want to get a Western Digital MyCloud. I want to be able to access the Western Digital MyCloud from either a Mac or a PC. I know that it will work with either a Mac or a PC.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Well, I'm sure you know that Macs do not employ a BIOS, so we can forget that. Most RDP software requires that you have your host machine (your Mac) setup for its power settings to "Wake on Lan" or "Wake for Network Access" in the "Energy Saver" preference panel. Is that what you're looking for?

OP
D
Reaction score
Well, I'm sure you know that Macs do not employ a BIOS, so we can forget that. Most RDP software requires that you have your host machine (your Mac) setup for its power settings to "Wake on Lan" or "Wake for Network Access" in the "Energy Saver" preference panel. Is that what you're looking for?
What is RDP software?

I Thought that I would need to change something in "Ethernet" in System Preferences. I didn't see anything. So, after reading your reply, I looked in "Energy Saver". There is a checkmark next to "Wake for network access".

I have both a Mac mini & a MacBook Pro. The mini is my primary computer. I turn off the mini when I'm finished with it. In order for me to remotely access it, it has to be asleep, right?

Can I experiment with turning on my mini by using my laptop & connecting it wirelessly to the router?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
RDP software = Remote Desktop Software. Here is a list of RDP programs that you might be interested in using.

I turn off the mini when I'm finished with it. In order for me to remotely access it, it has to be asleep, right?

Yes, the machine has to be on and able to be wakened to respond. As long as you have it setup in System Preferences, Energy Saver, to "Wake on Network Access" you'll be able to make contact with your Mini remotely. Checkout the software suggestions above.

OP
D
Reaction score
I grew up in the Windows world. This is my 1st Mac. I've had my Mini for over a year & I'm still learning about it.

Windows has 2 ways to put a computer to sleep. Hibernate saves the contents of the RAM to the hard drive & turns off the PC. Sleep keeps power to the RAM. I think that I read that Sleep on the Mac is a combination of Hibernate & Sleep. Is that correct? My Mini & the monitor are plugged into a UPS. What would happen to a sleeping Mac if it isn't plugged into a UPS?

I want to be able to control my Mini remotely, but I want to keep it simple. I have to install software on both the host & client & also set up my Mac for remote management & remote login, right? I've watched YouTube videos. I don't want to make changes to the router, etc. I used to work in the mailroom of the VA hospital. It has Pitney-Bowes mail machines. The tech can remotely access the machines by using TeamViewer. That's simple. That's what I want. But I want to be able to access the computer unattended. So, I'll need software that's simple like TeamViewer, but that allows me to access the computer unattended.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You're over complicating things. If your Mac is not attached to an UPS and power goes out, the Mac shuts down. TeamViewer is available for the Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" 2.7GHz Quad Core i5; 8GB; 1TB HDD
You're over complicating things. If your Mac is not attached to an UPS and power goes out, the Mac shuts down. TeamViewer is available for the Mac.

I am concerned that this may be oversimplified. Its never a good idea to pull power from any computer while it's running, certainly not while the disk is spinning or the head is in transit. This is of course assuming that it is not in sleep mode and is executing a task when the unfortunate power loss occurs. I am not certain how Apple implements sleep mode.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.