VPN

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5 (2019)
Going on vacation to a hotel resort on the U.S. east coast.

Considering the use of a VPN when using the hotel very public wi-fi.

I know very little about VPNs, but I gather it provides extra security especially on a hotel wi-fi system.

Any information would be of value, including what to look for.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
There are many. There are many cautions that the free ones sell your information to pay for the VPN (nothing is free). I use NordVPN, it works well. I've heard good things about Express VPN as well. In your use case, there isn't much to worry about, but if you really are worried about security, look for one that doesn't keep your information on their servers and that encrypt end-to-end. Play with whatever you decide before you go on vacation so there aren't any surprises. You may find that VPN, by moving your "location" to someplace other than where you are, really, might cause issues with some services, particularly streaming.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
These may help:

and maybe this one?

Ian

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
VPN stands for Virtual Private Network. You first connect to a WiFi, like the public WiFi's available anywhere and then you join this VPN through a variety of available software. Now all of your further communication is private and protected from anyone snooping in on the public WiFi.

Obviously avoid doing anything important on public WiFi's even on VPN. Keep that for your home network or cell network.

VPNs also allow you to bypass region locks (not many in the US) by pretending to be in a totally different location.

Apart from that, Jake and Ian have given you enough to go with and find the solution that works for you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Obviously avoid doing anything important on public WiFi's even on VPN. Keep that for your home network or cell network.
Ashwin, if the VPN is end-to-end encrypted, you can do whatever you would do from your home network, maybe even safer than that. That's why I use VPN, for when I travel and need to take care of critical financial activities that can't wait until I get home.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I use my VPN in Melbourne (Victoria, Australia) set to the same location. So there are no conflicts with Location Services but I still get the No Logging, End to End Encryption and if I go somewhere else, eg interstate or overseas I still appear to be in the same place. This also gives me access to all the same streaming services. I have tried Nord, SurfShark and Express VPN, for features, function, ease of use and Support I've found Express to be the best.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.