Volumes on USB drive showing on desktop

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I've plugged my Samsung SSD USB drive into my Mac Mini M1, and I'm getting all three volumes showing on the desktop. I only want the main volume. Is there a way to stop all the volumes from showing up when I plug it in?

Plus Can I change the title of this volume from Untitled to USB, and so that every time I plug it in it shows as USB and not Untitled?

Regards,
Rob

Screen Shot 2021-09-21 at 9.55.31 am.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Name change is easy. Right click on the name, and then Rename and enter the new name. Done. I don't think you can stop all the volumes from mounting, but maybe somebody else knows how to do that.

OP
K
Reaction score
Hi,
There is no right-click option available for volumes. There is on folders.

Cheers,
Rob

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There is. I just tried it and right click opens a menu, just as I said. But you cannot change the name of the boot drive, so is that what you are trying to do?

OP
K
Reaction score
Yes. On my desktop, there is no option to rename. Not that I can see.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-09-21 at 10.25.11 am.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-21 at 10.25.11 am.png
    247 KB · Views: 10
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That is strange. I just tried it with an APFS drive with ONE Volume and got this:

Menu.jpg

But when I opened a drive with multiple volumes on it, like yours, got the menu you are seeing. That is very strange. Might be time to call Apple support to see what they can tell you.

OP
K
Reaction score
I only just got the New Man Mini M1 yesterday. Maybe my system is different from yours. I'll keep searching, thanks for the help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm running the latest Big Sur, so the operation to name drives should be the same. But I did say that on a multi-Volume APFS drive I got what you got--no Rename. It's there on a single Volume, but not on one with more than one Volume in the Container. Strange. I would call Apple but I can't give them the details of YOUR drive which is why I suggested calling them. You can schedule it at Apple.com, click Support, scroll down and set up a call. Should be only a few minutes wait.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just tried exactly what they suggest and it worked. Select the drive icon, then press Return. The name changes color/background. Type in the new name, press Return. Change made. No menu, just the name block changes subtly.

EDIT: Thanks for the question, learned something new!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I just tried exactly what they suggest and it worked. Select the drive icon, then press Return. The name changes color/background. Type in the new name, press Return. Change made. No menu, just the name block changes subtly.

Unless my memory is traveling south along with my age, that's the way it has always been done. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Might be, I never did it that way. Right click brought up the menu I posted, select Rename and renamed it. What is curious is that it worked with a APFS drive with ONE Volume, but not with multiple. It also works fine with HFS+ and all other drive formats. Very strange behavior.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Very strange behavior.

LOL, Jake. Reminds me of some of my old military buddies.

Hey... another subject: Are you still planning on taking a trip to the UK this year?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, in late November into early December. We like Thanksgiving in London, then are planning to spend a week in Dorset in a cottage we have visited before. Very peaceful.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
What is curious is that it worked with a APFS drive with ONE Volume, but not with multiple.

FWIW, that is how I've seen things all along. For example, my TM BUs, (APFS), Right Click offers "Rename" - but my CCC BU (also APFS) which as more than one volume, does not offer that choice.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, I read that because of the new security on the system volume, you cannot rename a boot APFS drive. That may be part of the issue, but I wonder if you can rename an APFS with just three volumes, not a boot drive? May have to do some testing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.