Voice to text

MicahS

Reaction score
After the most recent update on my iPhone, when I do voice to text in my messages after the most recent update on my iPhone, when I do voice to text in my messages it leaves the microphone open but I want it to stop after I'm done speaking. Does anyone here know where to go to change that feature? .

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I've used this feature a few times and in all cases, the microphone doesn't stop when you're done talking. You have to stop it and/or send the piece you've already spoken.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
when I do voice to text in my messages it leaves the microphone open but I want it to stop after I'm done speaking.

I guess it's open to interpretation as to the actual meaning and whether the microphone is actually turned off or not, but apples help article says:
When you use on-device Dictation, you can dictate text of any length without a timeout. You can stop Dictation manually, or it stops automatically when you stop speaking for 30 seconds.

Does that actually work or have you actually tried stopping voice input for at least 30 seconds???

- Patrick
=======

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I usually send straight after dictating a reply so I've never noticed this behavior. Turning it off manually is just a matter of tapping the Mic icon again, I think.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.