• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Vista more secure than Mac OS X

Reaction score
Ah- the old "it's because less people use OS X" theory. Invalid, as proven by several excellent posters in this thread. No matter how many times you say it, it simply isn't true- there are eough people using Mac's to warrant a hacker tool to create something... ...if only, as was said, for the ignoble fame it would bring.

My solution to hacking? Offer a standing $2 Mill to rat out and prove someone created a virus, then disappear the author of said virus.

That, or dump MS and go to all *nix based systems.

You look at the computer world on a global, why don't you tell me what percentage of the market are Macs, PC's or other?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Duo White
This is the one area, Anti-Mac people can argue that PCs are better. In reality, Vista may or may not be more secure than OSX, I am not an expert. I also read that experts agree Vista is a better developed and written OS than any other. If this is true or not, again, I am no expert.
Even if these arguments are true, M$ looses out big time, in my view, on the GUI thus usability. Vista is still clumsy to navigate. Annoying to use, and buggy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" G4 iBook 512k, 60gb, 4 widgets.
MarcMac: Let me be clear, and precise. I am not denying that less people use Macs. That's a fact.

What I am saying, as others have said, is that the security of OS X is not due to hackers too busy with Windows to be bothered developing viruses for Macs.

The security of OS X is the fact that it's based on Unix. Period!

Even if Mac outsold PC's 4 to 1, that fact would not change.

I really don't understand what is so difficult to grasp about this concept- it's been proven repeatedly.

I wonder if it's on Snopes yet?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2GB, Mac Pro 2.66Ghz 3GB X1900.
The point is the virus cannot move beyond user space into system level files,

It can, that's the whole basis of a buffer overflow attack. You overflow a fixed buffer to inject code which then gets executed, the code you inject gains root privileges.

Of course a lot of work has been done to stop stack execution, the "no execute" flag in modern Intel processors. I'm not sure if Apple use this CPU flag in the OS and system libraries but they should do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Most viruses these days have a purpose, spambot, steal credit card info etc..

They are written by low life who probably can't afford a good Mac or don't like them.

Thousands of viruses are only designed to cause damage for no other reason than the writer wants to do something destructive. Yes, there are many that have a purpose, but many that just wreck things for no reason. There always has been and always will be malicious programs like this.

I also think XPADREX has hit the nail right on the head with his posts.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro quad 2.66 / G5 1.8
You look at the computer world on a global, why don't you tell me what percentage of the market are Macs, PC's or other?

He's right though.

Windows viruse writers fall broadly into two categories - fraudsters and skr1pt kiddies.

The fraudsters tend to write better stuff than the kids - their product has to work to be effective.

The Skript kiddies just do it for the kudos, mainly using 'kits' they download to modify exiting virus code. Occasioanlly one of them goes wild, and the kid gets arrested. Usually that doesn't happen.

You can be sure though, having had the idea that Macs / unix / Linux are 'immune' to viruses thrown at them for the last decade (in fact the last 4 decades), that the 'props' available to whoever can create a genuine virus for these systems is immeasurable. The kid that takes down OSX is going to be a god. No question.

The fact that 15 x as many Windows machines are around than Macs (or whatever it is now) is utterly irrelevant. They don't do it because they can't. So far.

Reaction score
The oops for today.
Virus writers may be able to smuggle malicious files onto a computer using Microsoft's security patch updates, experts say. . . . The method bypasses users' firewall, allowing files to download undetected.
There's nothing in the story to say Vista is affected, though that might be a given.

Reaction score
Absolutly right about that. Why don't we all just stay in the shadows and stop talking about our past lives in PC land. I don't want to remember those horrible days. Some person is going to try to be a Mark David Chapman and screw everything up for everyone. Then it will be chaos throughtout the world. I like living behind these precious gates of Mac Heaven. I DON'T WANT TO GO BACK! :'(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
intel iMac 20" monitor, OS X 10.4
Vista is too secure. I went through renaming system files and gaining an extensive knowledge of MS DOS before I finally got Vista working, and then whenever I opened WinRAR it asked me if I was sure it was safe, even though I'd already allowed it in Control Panel... It's like in the apple advert : " could turn him off, but then he wouldn't give me any warnings at all, and that would defeat the purpose, so..." "You are coming to a sad realisation. Cancel or allow?" "Allow :\ ..."

Reaction score
On the subject of "cancel or allow"...
It seems to me that a practice like this is the ultimate scapegoat.

Computer Owner: Hey, Vista, I got this virus!? You told me my PC was secure!

Vista: Did you -allow- it to come in?

Computer Owner: Sure, but you're supposed to be secure...?

Vista: We asked you if you were sure...like really sure...TWICE...if the program was safe.

Computer Owner: Oh, guess it's my fault then.

--R.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.