• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Visiting the dentist...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 AGP 400 MHz 1.34gb RAM
Few pointers at the dentist: When the dentist is getting ready to give you a shot (it is usually one syringe to give you a few pricks) tell him/her to wait a few minutes after the first prick (usually goes on the outer gums) inside your cheek. After a few minutes, the first shot will start numbing your gums, so you don't feel as much pain when the second shot goes inside your mouth right in the bone. Also, some dentist inject the novacaine slowly which helps the pain a lot. I have had dentists who did not cause any pain, and others acted like they enjoyed my pain. Or, may be they just did not know any better. When you see them in a hurry, then watch out.
When the hygienist cleans your teeth, and you don't like the taste of the polish, tell her/him that you don't want it. I skip it all the time. It does not have any benefit other than making your teeth smooth.
By the way, during the #7 reference to my experiences with dentists, I left out a major part. After the surgery and the sutures, I was told that the same tooth had to be extracted. At that point, I did not have a major issue with it since I was running out of patience. The wortst part was yet to come. The regular dentist could not pull my tooth until the gums were healed. He said that if he pulled the tooth, all my gums would come apart. So, for 15 days I suffered with the worst tooth ache and bone ache anyone could imagine. It was the combination of broken tooth ache and the cut up gums and the chiped bones. I am not big on pain killers, but I had to swallow Vicadon every 2 hours (usually it is every 6 hours) and even that was not very effective. After 15 days the sutures were taken off and the tooth pulled. Then I had to wait for the bone area which was shaved off to get rid of the infection, to grow back some bone. A few months later, I got my bridge done for the same area. This was the only tooth I have every lost and it was because of some mistake. Later, I found out that when an old crown is being taken off, the dentist needs to administer several small vertical cuts around the crown to pull it off safely.
Let's say that I am set for a while.

:D :eek:neye: :radioacti :mad: :bandage: :doctor: :closed: :( :eek: :eek:

OP
M

MacHeadCase

Well today is the day. I can't wait any longer but I don't think there will be lots of work done on my teeth today: it looks like I have an abscess so antibiotics will most probably be prescribed, then after these have done their work in about 10 days then the real stuff will happen.

*Yikes* :D

I'll keep your good words of advice present in my mind, johntalin. Thanks! I know I insisted that my fear be written down in the appointment book next to my name when I talked to the receptionist on the phone yesterday. 'cause this is a friend's recommendation, I have never been to that dentist before. I just can't be faithful to the dentists I've been to yet. There was only one but he had to retire at the age of 42: he got a heart attack and was left paralysed which is a total bummer 'cause I really trusted him... :blind:

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
well, good luck! and don't forget the mp3 player and work on some positive relaxing imagery!

Reaction score
I hate the dentist...

This is a sick subject and a sick thread.

I recently had a bad experience and I'm still feeling the effects 3 months later.

Had a crown put on because the tooth had a small crack. The dentist said that putting the crown on should take care of the sensitivity to cold and hot. Well it did but still when chewing I felt discomfort. Luckily my dentist was smart enough to put the crown on with temporary cement.

So I had a root canal on the tooth. Well when the endodonist injected the Novocain apparently the needle went into the muscle and no kidding for about 5 weeks I could barley open my mouth. Had to go to another guy who had me take muscle relaxers and use stacks of tongue depressors to gently stretch the muscles out...put like 8 of them in a stand and clenched between my teeth. Finally that subsided but then I'm getting the strangest funny sensation around the tooth...hard to explain.

So now the main dentist says it's probably because the crown is on with temp cement and that small air pockets are getting in there causing this sensation. So he puts the crown on with permanent cement about two weeks ago. *sigh* -- It's better but still weird. Doesn't
hurt to chew or drink hot or cold so my new position is (regarding teeth in general and this tooth in particular) if it ain't broke don't fix it.

And the biggest thing is that so far between the crown, root cancel and replacing the crown and some sort of "build up" on t he tooth I'm into it about $2,700. (And they say Macs are expensive)

So in conclusion, while I have never liked going to the dentist, I hate it now and am double paranoid. Sheese!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 AGP 400 MHz 1.34gb RAM
This is a sick subject and a sick thread.

I recently had a bad experience and I'm still feeling the effects 3 months later.

Had a crown put on because the tooth had a small crack. The dentist said that putting the crown on should take care of the sensitivity to cold and hot. Well it did but still when chewing I felt discomfort. Luckily my dentist was smart enough to put the crown on with temporary cement.

So I had a root canal on the tooth. Well when the endodonist injected the Novocain apparently the needle went into the muscle and no kidding for about 5 weeks I could barley open my mouth. Had to go to another guy who had me take muscle relaxers and use stacks of tongue depressors to gently stretch the muscles out...put like 8 of them in a stand and clenched between my teeth. Finally that subsided but then I'm getting the strangest funny sensation around the tooth...hard to explain.

So now the main dentist says it's probably because the crown is on with temp cement and that small air pockets are getting in there causing this sensation. So he puts the crown on with permanent cement about two weeks ago. *sigh* -- It's better but still weird. Doesn't
hurt to chew or drink hot or cold so my new position is (regarding teeth in general and this tooth in particular) if it ain't broke don't fix it.

And the biggest thing is that so far between the crown, root cancel and replacing the crown and some sort of "build up" on t he tooth I'm into it about $2,700. (And they say Macs are expensive)

So in conclusion, while I have never liked going to the dentist, I hate it now and am double paranoid. Sheese!

"I agree 100% with If it ain't broke don't fix it." I often decide to endure some pain to some extend, if the alternative procedure could be complicated and cause more problems than you begin with. My husband has the healthiest tooth ever. His dentist suggested that the crown he had should be removed and the tooth extracted even though he did not have any pain. The reason was that the crown was irritating the gums. Usually, if you extract a single tooth, you need an implant which is screwed in your jaw bone, then the single crown goes on it. But, his insurance would not cover that procedure. So, the suggestion was that they would make a bridge instead. In the process, his two healthy teeth would be shaved down to accomodate the two end crowns of the bridge. I told him to run and never look back. The dentist had just taken full x-rays and my husband did not even have to pay for it. I hope the dentist lost some money on this deal.

:eek: :D

Reaction score
Years ago when I lived in Sydney, actually I was a teenager and it was in the late 1970's, I was fortunate enough to find a really good dentist and a local one at that. He was from Hong Kong and he was a regular comedian. He would check you over, go to his fridge and return with a can of Coke and say ... "Well, I'm not going to make any money out of you".

I actually convinced a work collegue who needed to see the dentist badly but had a real phobia about going - to give my dentist a go ... she agreed and came out totally relaxed about the experience.

James was his name and he was such a crack-up character and so anti-establishment (the can of Coke) and I loved going to the dentist back then.

::thinks to self; " ...wonder whatever happened to him"::

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
@pexogoce

Nice of you to post. I do hope you get the comments you seek because this thread was last posted to in 2007; 16 years ago. :) :)

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Every time twice a year when the appointment draws near, I loathe visiting the dentist. What about you? Do you like to visit your dentist?
Well, I'll have to let you know. I will be seeing a new dentist. The one I've been seeing for a few years is just a pain. She didn't listen to me, never came around to the front of the dentist chair to talk to me face to face. The chairs are in cubicles and face the wall. The dentist comes in behind the patient, and has to make an effort to engage patients. She refused my requests for refills of fluoride gel, which I had been using for many years, and then my previous dentist retired. She wouldn't even acknowledge calls from my pharmacy, or voice mails I left drawing attention to that. I had to go to the dental office and demand a new prescription. That was just two days ago. So I'm hoping that the new dentist (in the same office) will actually talk to me.

As far as treatments go, the new method of cleaning teeth seems to be more uncomfortable. They use water under high pressure. The soon to be old dentist didn't seem to be very careful with it. I'll have to see if the new one is. I do tense up when getting shots, but it's not that bad for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Uuugh. Dentistry. So here’s a story to creep everyone out. I hate going to the dentist. Loathe it. Avoid it as much as possible. A couple years ago, I was talking to a friend on the phone. She had just had her checkup and I was telling her how much I hate it. The previous night I had nightmares about my teeth crumbling to pieces in my mouth. Before I had called her, I had checked my mail and had a post card from a new dentist in the area advertising their practice. So she’s giving me grief about avoiding the dentist and during the conversation, a filling fell out. Just popped right out. And I’m like “Well $%#*!” Three omens foreboding this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac mid-2011, ipad.Air 2', iPhone 8+.
I don't think anybody looks forward to going to the dentist, including me, but since I moved to Las Vegas 5 years ago, I go to my nephew who has his own dental practice. I do have dental insurance. He is 51 with over 25 years of experience and has some of the newest and very expensive dental equipment. He has hygienist that do cleaning. My insurance allows 3 cleanings per year. Nice to have a dentist relative.

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
@Bill Gates Jr.

This is a bit off topic; but may I ask you how you have settled in to living in Las Vegas? My question stems from my very, very limited experience of staying in Las Vegas for a couple of weeks. I'm just interested; that's all.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ian,
First off, Vegas is very windy. Hawaii is breezy, Vegas, on many days, very windy. I guess that's what surprised me the most. Because Vegas is so dry, it took a few months until my nose (some bleeding) got used to the dry (Rel. humidity usually btwn. 7-20%) climate.
I've never seen so many personal injury law firms advertising on TV here. Auto insurance is one of the highest in the US]; hence all the Lawyers. Hawaii was probably the cheapest. Propert tax is vey high. Hawaii was the lowest because the state pays for the schools, whereas in almost all of the states, the counties pay. Don't miss the humidity in Hawaii, but miss the greenery. My wife refuses to drive here because the drivers here speed and the freeways have higher speed limits. Not a problem for me. It's rare to have snow fall in the lower elevations (and stick) during winter, but the mountain looks nice with snow. Many times online businesses would not ship to Hawaii. Not a problem here. There are an inordinate amount of Hawaii take out or eat in places in Las Vegas and Henderson.
There also is "The International Marketplace" which has a tremendous amount of foreign foods Visit it next time you are in Vegas. My wife likes the large selection of German groceries and sausages. The have food from Britain, the Balkans, Turkey, Japan, China, Korea, and many other European and Asian countries. Surprisingly, they carry a lot of food items from Hawaii also. I've bought Chutney and cookies from England.
Many doctors here from India I see a DR. Sharma (6 Dr. Sharmas in Clark County( Las Vegas/Henderson). My wife's Dr is also Indian.
Believe it or not, Vegas has a monsoon season! Maybe 2-4 inches in a year, usually around Winter time. Some roads can get flooded and they have water runoff channels if rain gets heavy. The desert does not soak up rain so some places can flood.
We don't gamble or go to shows, but they do have great entertainers all over the Strip. We watch a lot of the Premier league and the Bundesliga as my wife and I enjoy it. Of course being American, I prefer American football and baseball. Pete

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, Pete. Very interesting summary. I appreciate the time taken to respond :) (y)

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
@Bill Gates Jr.
Staying on the off-topic topic…
How do residents of Las Vegas (“the meadows”) feel about the pronunciation of the leading article as if it were the same as that for Los Angeles (“the angles”)? Almost no one I hear saying it actually says Las Vegas. Instead, it comes out as Los Vegas.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 MBP 13, 8 gig mem, 2 int disks 500gig SSD, 1Tb SSHD . 2010 iMac, 8 gig, 2 Tb SSHD. iMac M1
I haven't been to the dentist since ast Tuesday and it was only for an hour and a half in the chair. I had an abscess under a canine which is under a bridge supported be two inserts, so nothing complicated.

Just a case of going in through the gum, taking the top off of the canine and getting the puss out.

I hardly felt the needle although it did sting a bit when he went to the inside bit and I just went in to meditation mode for the time in the very comfortable chair. 9 stitches, so as I said quite straight forward and I have no idea why anyone should be nervous of dentists.

Just a slight uncomfortable feeling yesterday and feels normal today.

But I suppose that I've had a lot of practice in dentists chairs one way or another. People ask if my teeth are my own? Well they bl00dy well should be they cost me enough! :unsure:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
toMACsh Las (Lahs) Vegas ks pretty much what i've always heard. Or just Vegas
Never had or heard mispronunciations off either city...but New Orleans, that's open to interpretation.

jonzjob Way to much information.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 MBP 13, 8 gig mem, 2 int disks 500gig SSD, 1Tb SSHD . 2010 iMac, 8 gig, 2 Tb SSHD. iMac M1
Ohhh sorry, it was late last eve when I tryped that lot in and hadn't had time tor read right through the thread and thought it was about the pleasures of dentistry :oopssign

Going along with the line of off topique. There's a posh village up in Cheshire called Peover and if you don't or can't afford to live there it's pronounced pee over, but if you have the beer tokens (£££) to live there then you live in Pover pronounced with the appropriate very posh accent!

I've always called it pee over :drink

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2020 M1 MacBook Pro 16/1000 GB Sonoma ; 2017 Intel MacBook Air 8/256 GB Monterey
Ohhh sorry, it was late last eve when I tryped that lot in and hadn't had time tor read right through the thread and thought it was about the pleasures of dentistry :oopssign

Going along with the line of off topique. There's a posh village up in Cheshire called Peover and if you don't or can't afford to live there it's pronounced pee over, but if you have the beer tokens (£££) to live there then you live in Pover pronounced with the appropriate very posh accent!

I've always called it pee over :drink
Would these posh people live in this place though?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.