Viruses ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Besides which none of that makes what I said untrue! It was an overview, the details of which are not that important

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Osiris22x said:
I'm not sure where you got that idea, witeshark. The Windows registry is used merely as a convenience in most small applications. Almost no trojan's/viruses use the registry whatsoever. Most imbed themselves in applications that already have entries and that already have execution permissions.
This is either an ignorance supreme, or an outright LIE. Watch the Norton channel and be enlightened

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Ok enough you two, name calling, or personal bashing, etc etc.. no reason to do it. A great way is explaining exactly what something is without even using another persons name that just might have got it wrong. Like it was mentioned we're a brotherhood.. not brothers, since they usually fight all the time.. but a brotherhood :)

Thanks you two for dropping the slams, but continue the debate! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)
All right, first I will agree with Joeytpg. My apologies; hostility is not appropriate here. It's just that I've been on this board long enough to see witeshark post several false/skewed/nonesensical info, and it gets irritating after a while. However, you are correct that I once did the same as a kid...so I shouldn't be so judgemental.

As for whiteshark, you said "The main difference is that exploits can fully engage their task without aid by the target computer - or user.". This makes absolutely no sense, and doesn't agree with your last post. However, I'm going to drop it. It's just not important.

As for registry stuff, I'm a CS Engineering student, C++ programmer, and work as a Systems Administrator. I've written my share of active viruses and worms, for theory study and testing purposes. Thus, I can safely back up my point.

At any rate, this isn't a thread I'm going to participate in further.

J

Joeytpg

There you go, how nice is when you are surrounded with educated/polite people. Thanks Osiris, i just made an observation to try and make this a better forum :)

thanks for the good gesture.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Plain facts, many very many windows exploits are able to edit the registry, copy files and read address book, one even takes screen shots from IE with no participation from the user at all, and no need for internet activity beyond simply looking at a web site. This is not how I want it, this is how it is.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.