virus

Reaction score
I saw other posts about getting viruses on Macs, and everyone who answered them said it is impossible, or nearly impossible anyway, and I even understand why it not as easy to hack a mac than a windows...

This being said I REALLY think I have spyware or a virus, or at the very least, a person is remotely connecting to my computer, and it is slowing down my internet A LOT!

Even if I delete it, a folder called StartupItems is made in my System folder upon every launch of the Finder. The folder is empty, but it is still there. I also get an Alert message everytime I start up my computer saying that it detected an Insecure Folder at "/System/Library/StartupItems" My roommate (Im in college) has a windows computer, and he said that is a very common way for hackers to create wormholes on Windows.. But the StartupItems folder is in the WIN32 folder on a Windows.

I just got Little Snitch, Intego and Mac Scan.. None of them found any viruses. Additionally, I booted with the Snow Leopard Installer CD and did a disk scan and repair. It found a few errors, but fixed them... And yeah, that leaves me at the current.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
It would be possible if there were any viruses for the Mac. Currently, there aren't. A hacker is not a virus, more like a bacteria. Change your passwords.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
That StartupItems folder is important - do not delete it! It stays even if you don't have anything in there.

Open Terminal.app (in your Applications folder under Utilities) and copy this line at the prompt:

sudo chown root:wheel /Library/StartupItems

restart your computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
For starters remove the three programs you mentioned using the uninstallers and advise if any speed improvement and as you have been told there are no viri for OS X!

OP
F
Reaction score
Thanks

Thank you so much for the quick* help! seriously, thanks a lot! I was having a crisis! Well, to me it was a crisis.. what does that line of Bash code do in the terminal?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
The insecure folder message has to do with file permissions. The StartupItems folder permissions needed to be set correctly. You could've also run Repair Permissions in Disk Utility. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
FYI - Little Snitch is a great app to monitor your ingoing/outgoing connections ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nothing yet ... still salivating at the counter.
You only mentioned slow internet speeds ... do you have wireless service? Is it possible someone has found the password to your ISP hub, and is drawing from your sevice without accessing your computer?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15"MacBook Pro 2.7 GHz i7 (2013) | 15"MacBook Pro 2.6GHz (2018) both OS 10.14.1 | iPhone 6 OS 12.1
just in general...you are using a computer which uses a very different architecture than a PC...OSX is NOT Windows...& that is why most of us chose to use it...

it's probably best if you dont go into the system folder to look for things & delete them...(i used a pc for many years...so i know how that goes) on a pc it's almost necessary to be vigilant & keep running 894762 scans & security apps...

since you have switched to mac...you can get back to work without worrying too much about all those things :)

as for your slow internet...i agree with the previous posters...it may have something to do with your ISP or someone else draining your bandwidth

OP
F
Reaction score
Ok, I am not positive, but I think these may be related:

I took the advice about not going in and deleting important System Files on my computer, but this has nothing to do with deleting any files. I reinstalled my system twice a while ago. First I did a 'Back up from Time Machine' and then I did a clean reinstall, and I zeroed-out all the information in 'Disk Utility' first.

When I do 'Show Info' (cmd-I) on my hard drive I get the following:

MacintoshHD-info.png

Now, what I see here are 'system' and 'admin' with Read & Write permissions, and 'everyone' with Read only permissions.

a) This is not my main concern AT ALL, but I could have sworn that a few days ago it said that all 3 users listed ('system', 'admin' and 'everyone' had Read and Write permissions. Are they not supposed to?

And when I do 'Show Info' for 'iChat', I get the following:

iChat-info.png

I only see 'system' and 'everyone' as the listed users, no 'admin'. I am pretty much certain that a few days ago it listed all three ('system', 'admin' and 'everyone', like for 'Macintosh HD'). Not to mention (the BAD part) a few days ago I noticed a fourth User listed in the Macintosh HD permissions called 'Custom (Me)' who had Read and Write permissions. This User appeared and disappeared all way after the reinstallation, so I do not think the events are related. I have no idea how to change permissions, where to do it, or even really what they fully mean to the operation of a computer. I really do not think me or one of my actions had anything to do with these events.

B) Is THIS evidence of a virus and/or hacker? I would think the obvious answer was yes, but there is a lot computers that I do not know, and that is why I humbly ask you all to help me out on this. :\

OP
F
Reaction score
oh, and about the slow internet from the previous posts...

I go to a college, and they have pretty tight internet security, I do not think anyone figured out their wireless password, and even if they did, I am using a wired connection 95% of the time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
for internet speed, check to see if it is a DNS problem.

try the IP address of a website instead of its written name, ie Google, then try the address 74.125.159.105

if the numbers are faster, then it's DNS.

If you're worried about users, check in accounts to see what users exist. HDs can have more requirements on permissions than simple applications.

OP
F
Reaction score
thanks a lot.. the only accounts that exist in the 'Users' portion of the 'System Preferences' is my account, and Guest is disabled. But I do not think it is an issue of someone else using my computer correctly, I mean a user or users remotely logging in or using filesharing somehow, or doing some kind of work with a Trojan..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Only created users show up in permissions, so others only have access with a local account, and you can see all those. File sharing isn't possible without permission. If u want, just untick File Sharing and you're good.

C

chas_m

So, to summarise: you're being paranoid, there's no viruses for the Mac, and everything you've told us about your system so far is perfectly normal.

I don't mean to sound angry with you -- I'm angry at Windows for turning perfectly normal people who just want to use a computer into frightened users who are hugely intimidated by their machines. While I have no desire for Apple to rule the world, I really wouldn't mind if the peace of mind one gets from being a Mac owner were more widespread.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
So, to summarise: you're being paranoid, there's no viruses for the Mac, and everything you've told us about your system so far is perfectly normal.

I don't mean to sound angry with you -- I'm angry at Windows for turning perfectly normal people who just want to use a computer into frightened users who are hugely intimidated by their machines. While I have no desire for Apple to rule the world, I really wouldn't mind if the peace of mind one gets from being a Mac owner were more widespread.

Very well said, virtual rep to you.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE

More virtual REP from me. Well said.

OP
F
Reaction score
yea, maybe ur right, I probably am being paranoid, I can't say I have heard of many confirmed cases of hacking on a mac. Ooh, one more thing though: (this popped up since the last time I posted)

A new user is listed for my System Preferences app named 'wheel'. I am agreeing with you that this is not a hacker, but what the heck is it?

OP
F
Reaction score
And Furthermore who the **** is "appleglobal.112.2o7.net"? I have little snitch and they keep connecting to me today... and if I deny the connection, I lose internet... weird.

Oh and I verified disk permissions, and it said that "/System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDClient" has been modified and will not be repaired...

Am I still being paranoid?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.