Virtual OSX Server for training

Reaction score
Hi,

I have never used the OSX Server, and I would like to start playing around with it so that I can offer support with it.

I was wondering what my options are.

Can I buy a license and run it on my regular mac (could I install it on my MacBook)? Or does it have to run on an Apple XServe?
Is there some sort of emulator that I could install it in?
Or is there an OSX Server Simulator out there?

Do they offer an educational license? Or a Trial?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Parallels and VMWare both will be offering virtual OS X Server (leopard only) in their respective products for Mac.

There is no trial nor is there an educational license unless it's purchased with a Mac Pro.

Average Joe's can buy a 10 client license for $499

I own VMWare 1.1.3 and plan on virtualizing OS X server when v2.0 ships. It is currently in beta if you want to check it out. It requires an intel Mac.

I run 10.5 server now on an old G4 1.0 with 1gb Ram. It is much improved from 10.4 server.

OP
H
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Your last statement says you run 10.5 server on a G4. Does this mean, I could install it on my macbook? I mean formatting the drive, and install it directly without any virtualization.

I would be perfectly happy doing that if it is possible.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
My guess is no.

"System Requirements
Mac server or desktop computer with an Intel, PowerPC G5, or PowerPC G4 (867MHz or faster) processor; 1GB of physical RAM; 20GB of available disk space."

Straight from the Apple tech specs. I assume the installer script will detect hardware and say the MacBook hardware is not supported. I'd also guess the same for virtualization, but won't know until VMWare Fusion 2.0 is out. You could check their site to see the system requirements.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.