Viewing Photos

Reaction score
Mac baby here so maybe I've missed something obvious.
Is there something to view photos that works like (pardon the reference here) Windows Photo Gallery. What I mean is, in WPG I can just click on any photo, anywhere and then tap the arrow or click on next, and you can look at all image type files in whatever folder you happen to be in at the time (including the desk top). I don't use iPhoto much as I tend to store most of my massive amounts of photos on an external HD and iPhoto wants to copy everything to my Macs HD. With Preview, I have to open Finder, select all the files I think I want to look at and then open them. There has to be an easier way. Have I missed something?
Thanks all.
Jeff

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13, 2.4, 8GB, 120GB SSD OCZ
I use 'cover flow' under Finder. It's fantastic. At the very top, right underneath 'View' 'Go' and 'Window', there's a group of rectangular icons. The last one gives you cover flow. There will be a horizontal partition between the cover flow and the list items, you can pull up or down to make the flow bigger or smaller.

Or go to 'view' and click cover flow ... =P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 tower, powerbook, macbook pro (and a few more)
Viewing pics on a mac

Hi Baby mac
iphoto is really the best way to view your pics. It will store and manage all your pics. You can even touch them up in the app.

It can be a little of a hassle to get used to particularly if you have moved over from a PC. But it is a much better app than WPG.

It doesn't use preview and you don't have to open in finder. Just use iphoto.
It will copy all your images to your hard drive. It makes thumbs nails of the original for speed of use but keeps all the originals safe. SO to view you pics just open iphoto.

Just remember iphoto stores all you pics in the application package. So if you want to find them. Just control + click on the app and look inside package to find them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Or you can use Quicklook. In the folder you want to view, (i'd view it in list view, because thats what I like), hit the top file or the one on the top left, hit the space bar to activate quicklook... you can then arrow key through the folder and it will show you what everything is. Not just pictures, but everything. I should also add that in the finder, the Eyeball looking icon on the top will also activate quicklook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook Pro, 8g RAM, iPhone 6, iPad Mini, Apple TV
You can easily store all your photos on an external and use iPhoto to access. Simply put your entire iPhoto library on the external like this: iPhoto 8.0 Help: Moving your iPhoto Library folder to a new location. Then, start iPhoto with the Option key pressed down, and when asked, choose the library on your external. That way, none will be added to your internal drive. The external will remain your default drive until you change it by doing the Option start again and choosing a different library.

And, stay out of the library in the finder. Do not do anything to/with your photos there, or iPhoto will be unable to find them for you. Forget that library exists, except for moving it as described above.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Or you can use Quicklook. In the folder you want to view, (i'd view it in list view, because thats what I like), hit the top file or the one on the top left, hit the space bar to activate quicklook... you can then arrow key through the folder and it will show you what everything is. Not just pictures, but everything. I should also add that in the finder, the Eyeball looking icon on the top will also activate quicklook.

I would also recommend this approach because the OP stated they don't use iPhoto. This has to be the easiest way to view files if you don't want to make any changes to them. Even pdf's, .xcl's, .doc's, etc. etc. etc. Soooo much faster than opening their respective applications just to look at them. (sorry - I know I got a little off topic of photos, but thought since they're new it would be useful info) ;D

OP
F
Reaction score
Awesome info guys...thanks. Quick Look seems to be the closest thing to what I am after. A couple of questions about Quick Look though.
1) When you hit "Full Screen" on something in Quick Look, you lose the ability to toggle through items. Is there an add-on or other type fix for this?
2) As posted, Quick Look shows you EVERYTHING...not just image files. Anything that can be done to set preferences for it so that it only picks up certain types (images...video)?
Thanks again.
Jeff

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
1) When you hit "Full Screen" on something in Quick Look, you lose the ability to toggle through items. Is there an add-on or other type fix for this?
This is why I like using Cover Flow. Just make the Finder folder window fill your whole screen and also drag the divider bar as far down as it can go. You'll get a large image that will allow you to scroll back and forth. You don't quite get a full screen but it's larger than the Quick Look. You can also press the oval silver button on the right side of Finder to get more screen space.

To activate Cover Flow you just have to press the button I circled in red below in Finder.
coverflow.jpg

2) As posted, Quick Look shows you EVERYTHING...not just image files. Anything that can be done to set preferences for it so that it only picks up certain types (images...video)?
Thanks again.
Jeff
I don't know if you can turn this off because this was one of the new features. Mac OS allows you to preview just about every file before opening them which is useful if you don't want to take the time opening up each application that each file requires. I place all my images in one folder or grouped into sub folders so I don't have too much issues with it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.