viewing/converting MS Access database .mdb file

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac mid-2011, ipad.Air 2', iPhone 8+.
When I strayed to the dark side and was a Windows user. I created an .mdb database file. I am now on my iMac and wonder how I can convert this to a database file I can use and manipulate with Mac. I don't want to have to recreate this database as it would probably take me forever. Is there a program that would do this?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I don't believe there was a version of MS Access for Mac, so you'll need to find a Windows machine or run Windows in a VM to instal MS Access, then open this file and then have it export out the data in some common format that you can import into a more general database like SQLite, Postgres or something else.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
When I strayed to the dark side and was a Windows user. I created an .mdb database file. I am now on my iMac and wonder how I can convert this to a database file I can use and manipulate with Mac. I don't want to have to recreate this database as it would probably take me forever. Is there a program that would do this?

You may not have to. I believe that the free version of LibreOffice can read and edit MS Access *.mdb files. You might want to do a bit of research on that though to make sure before you download LibreOffice.

And....

We moved this thread to the correct forum. Not a lounge subject.

Reaction score

There is no version of Access for the Macintosh, but there are products that will let you view an Access database on your Mac, and there are migration tools that will allow you to migrate your Access database to a Macintosh database program:

MDB / ACCDB Viewer $19
Open Microsoft Access Databases on your Mac (allows you to export your Access database to just about any other database)
MDB/ACCDB Viewer for Mac

DataDino ($50) (unclear if this will run under recent versions of the Mac OS)
http://www.tucows.com/preview/324639/DataDino-Database-Explorer
Converts databases from one format to another

MDB Explorer $10
MDB Explorer - Access Viewer, read and export Access files on the Mac App Store
Convert an MS Access Database to other formats

FmPro Migrator
Software (and service) to convert Access database to Filemaker Pro
Access to FmPro Migration Service - Microsoft Access to FileMaker Pro by .com Solutions Inc.

Reaction score
Let me know if you would like to know what database programs are available for the Macintosh. The list is quite a bit longer than you might suspect!

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry about the delay. Could not access the thread sent to my email or view MY POSTS. The administrator fixed the MY Posts problem and said this thread had been moved from Schwebs Lounge to Games (?) for some reason. Anyway I can access it from My Posts so problem solved. I now have a viewable, on my Mac, .mdb file. Unfortunately the columns are not all aligned and I cannot move things around. A spreadsheet format would probably work better for my need, but is too complicated for me to use. A dbase program would be much easier. I do have Libre Office which includes dbase, but am unsure how to get the file (on my desktop) imported to Libre dbase. I can try googling it. I don't need a long list of dbase programs for Mac Just one or two that are free or relatively cheap. My needs ae very basic. Or maybe one that can read an old Access dbase file and make it work on my Mac.

Pete

Reaction score
I don't need a long list of dbase programs for Mac Just one or two that are free or relatively cheap. My needs are very basic.

Many database application programs use a proprietary file format. Access is one of those. In order to exchange data, you must export the data from one application in a format that the other application can import. If you’re exchanging data with another database program, check the documentation that came with that program to determine a common intermediary file format that both the new database and the old database program support.

Popular free or inexpensive stand-alone Macintosh database programs:

Symphytum (free)
http://giowck.github.io/symphytum/

Ninox ($35/subscription)
Ninox Database
- Mac Database App

Ninox Database on the Mac App Store

TapForms ($50)
Tap Forms - Organizer Database App for Mac, iPhone, and iPad
(Very popular among Mac users. The de facto heir to Bento.)

Steward Database ($25)
Steward Personal Database for Mac

iDatabase ($20)
http://www.apimac.com/mac/idatabase/

- - - Updated - - -

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What about SQLite? or Postgres?

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My Mac won't allow me to open Sysphytum because it's not from the App store. Can't find it on the App store. How do i get around that?

Reaction score
My Mac won't allow me to open Sysphytum because it's not from the App store. Can't find it on the App store. How do i get around that?

We really should have a pin for this, because it comes up all the time.

instead of double clicking on the new app, right-click on it (or Control-click if you have a single button mouse) and choose Open.

You will get another warning that the app is from an unidentified developer. (This DOES NOT mean that it is a dangerous app, it just means that the app or it's developer isn't registered with Apple. If you got the app directly from it's developer it is most likely completely legitimate.)
However, now you are given the option of opening the app anyway.

Click Open in the dialog box. If prompted, enter an administrator name and password. You should not have to go through this process again to open this particular app; it will remember that you gave permission for it to be opened.

How to open an app from a unidentified developer and exempt it from Gatekeeper
Safely open apps on your Mac - Apple Support

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.