Video's not working - help please?!

Reaction score
I overloaded my internal memory with GoPro videos (i think that was the problem) trying to start up my computer the screen went white and blank. So I tried 'safe' start up, holding down 'shift' and it worked however my memory status shows all files to be 'other' and none of my videos or movies will start, none saved or online.
What can I do please??
Thanks so much!

Reaction score
????

Sounds like the go pro corrupted or got damaged in some way or another most go pro formats won't open in quicktime only in vlc while others open in both quicktime and vlc so i would check to see if your go pro is the issue or if the computer is because I'm completely lost in what you just said.

so lets see here if i got this right.

you have a go pro that got overloaded you are trying to copy the videos to the macintosh via the go pro software but it won't copy them and list your videos as "other" which usually means there damaged or worse distroyed.

correct.

OP
C
Reaction score
Hi

Thanks for your reply.

Actually my memory was almost full, then i uploaded some GoPro photo's, probably tried too many. I turned my computer off, the next day I turned it back on again and the screen was just blank. I Managed to get my computer going again but now ALL the memory on my computer is showing up as 'other' and NONE of the videos on my laptop are playing nor can i get videos online to play either. So I'm wondering what the problem is, do I need to re-install something or set something up. I'm not that computer savvy to know the problem. Thanks so much!

M

MacInWin

Claire, can we get agreement on some standard terminology first? Here is your last post:

Actually my memory was almost full, then i uploaded some GoPro photo's, probably tried too many. I turned my computer off, the next day I turned it back on again and the screen was just blank. I Managed to get my computer going again but now ALL the memory on my computer is showing up as 'other' and NONE of the videos on my laptop are playing nor can i get videos online to play either. So I'm wondering what the problem is, do I need to re-install something or set something up. I'm not that computer savvy to know the problem. Thanks so much!
By "memory" do you mean the hard drive? If so, that's "Storage" not "Memory." If that is what you meant, then you had a very full hard drive, tried to add something from GoPro and got the drive so full that OSX couldn't operate properly.

By "turned my computer off" did you mean you properly shut it down or that you just forced it off by holding down the power button? OSX does not like to be powered off because that can leave files in strange states and may even force you to reinstall the OS completely.

Can you tell us, please: What Mac? What version of OSX? How much memory is installed? How big is the Hard drive and how much space on it is free?

BTW, the fact that files are shown as "other" in Safe Boot is normal. But if you are booted into the regular mode, they should show as before.

Playing videos depends on the format of the video. Not all players play all videos, but VLC is among the better ones. I don't know the GoPro format for video, or if VLC can play them or not.

OP
C
Reaction score
Hi Jake

Yes, memory = internal hard drive as storage.

MacBook Pro:
Processor 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5
Memory 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Software: OS X 10.9.4

I deleted some things already but I think it wasn't completely full. Storage currently reads '22.92 GB free out of 499.25 GB'

Yes I properly shut down my computer. One of the GoPro videos appeared to be corrupt and did not load so I left it. GoPro videos can be played on Quicktime and VLC.

Since 'safe' starting I haven't turned my computer off or changed any settings etc because I don't know what to do. So I don't know if that means it's still operating in 'safe' mode or normal?

How do I 'boot into the regular mode' please?

Thank you so much for taking the time, really appreciated and sorry for being unclear!

M

MacInWin

To get back to "normal" just reboot. However, 22GB free out of 500GB is not much free space, which may be leading you to a slowdown. So my recommendation is to get an external drive and move some of that stuff from the internal to an external drive. You are somewhere about 95% full. Try to get under 80% if you can. Good candidates to move are videos, pictures, music, etc. Those are large files and can consume a lot of space in a hurry.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thank you Johnodd4 and especially thank you Jake for taking the time to help me!

I have all my stuff back! :-D phew!

Thanks again!

Claire

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.