video upload problems

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookPro Retina 13. 8GB memory, El Capitan; iPhone 6s.
Hi guys, Happy Holidays.
I am trying to upload video from my Sony Handicam HD to my mac. I thought I should upload Image Data Converter V 4.2.05 and Sony Phase One at Sony's request when I plugged my camera into the Mac. I did that and have unsuccessfully tried to upload with those programs.

I tried uploading into iMovie also but had repeated "failure to upload".

This morning I plugged in my camera and thought I had uploaded video content and was able to watch back, however, after removing the camera, iMovie had no content!

I tried again this evening to add content to iMovie from the camera but no luck. Hook up is through usb to camera and seems to be recognized but no upload ability.
What am I missing?
Thanks for any help.
Steve.

Reaction score
Can you see the camera in Finder? If so try just dragging the files to your video folder.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Finder sees the camera but only shows a list of JPG pictures, no vid.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OMG, now iMovie will not open but keeps sending messages to the screen saying "import failed" and now we are up to #107 !!!
I have to wait for another fail sign and hit ok before it goes to the next, what the heck is up? I only had 6 videos on the camera chip but iMovie keeps bouncing in the dock and won't open, just shows an increasing number of "import failed" blocks on the screen. In am in iMovie ****!!

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
up to 120 and counting, this program is out of control. Right click can "quit" but when reopened it starts again at the last number and continues telling me this clip failed!!!!!! Doh.!

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wow, I can't even reboot, iMovie interrupts restart and won't go away. I must be in apple ****!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Is the camera still connected when you try to reboot? If so try disconnecting it. Never seen that behavior before in iMovie. I'll have to poke around a bit and see if I find anything.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Slydude, no the camera was only connected for around an hour Monday morning for the first attempt at uploading video clips ( a total of 6 clips). Then discon.
Later that afternoon when I discovered no vid in iMovie, I hooked up the camera for a second try to upload, for about an hour. Camera discon again and not since been hooked up. The surprising behavior of iMovie began right away, as detailed above. I now have it removed from the dock, that was the only way it would quit forcing a failure to reboot. Rebooted and haven't opened iMovie since. Will wait until weekend when I have more opportunity to retry this perplexing video uploading scenario.
Thanks,
Steve.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.